How about alphabetizing the forum list of state subforums?

Post by AE7Q
I run a phpBB 3.0.x message board, and it is absolutely trivial to reorder subforums.

Group Canada subforums at the beginning or end, I don't care.
AE7Q

POSTER_ID:17509902

Send a message
Waze on LG G3 (Android v6.0), usually on AA in 2017 Subaru Impreza.

Post by AE7Q
doctorkb wrote:What, specifically, is this pertaining to?
The list of subforums in the list of states under the "USA/Canada" forum.
AE7Q
Send a message

Post by AE7Q
The reordering feature is available on phpBB 3.0.12 (& earlier), because that's what I run on my own phpBB 3.0.12 system (due to crappy support for PostgreSQL schemas in phpBB 3.2).

OK, at least there's a reason for the present ordering (left to right across Canada & the USA), but it certainly isn't intuitive or helpful to anyone searching for their state.

It's not very important; it just seems silly.
AE7Q
Send a message
Last edited by AE7Q on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by doctorkb
What, specifically, is this pertaining to?
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
It looks like it's either already been done, or he's referring to something else, Jaazz.

Canada is grouped at the top, and the provinces are arranged west to east (left to right). The US states have a somewhat similar arrangement, but not quite (e.g. Idaho is before Washington).

Also, FYI, AE7Q: this is a VERY old installation of phpBB (3.0.13) that has been heavily modified. It is likely that the feature you're talking about is actually not available to us. There is currently a move towards a new platform for the forums, but I don't have an exact timeline -- probably in the next 3-6 months, though.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
AE7Q wrote:The reordering feature is available on phpBB 3.0.12 (& earlier), because that's what I run on my own phpBB 3.0.12 system (due to crappy support for PostgreSQL schemas in phpBB 3.2).

OK, at least there's a reason for the present ordering (left to right across Canada & the USA, but it certainly isn't intuitive or helpful to anyone searching for their state.

It's not very important; it just seems silly.
Keep in mind that apart from Staff (who typically don't touch the forum unless it's completely broken), we can only do stuff through a limited Administrator interface.

Anyhow... the easier way is to drill down anyhow.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by JaazzBoo
You don't find the search entertaining? ;)
JaazzBoo
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message