New Canada maps are here!

Post by krankyd
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay - the maps were ready but we had some server issues during the weekend and wanted to make sure those are behind us before we move on.

So, what have we got?
1. you'll notice a lot of new roads... hopefully the base map that we got includes most / all roads in your vicinity.
2. Names: especially for highways, we had to make sure that the name of the road will remain consistent. Since not all highways were mapped by users, we had to stick to the GOVT names, when available. This is important both for traffic reports and for routing. (For example, if a user mapped HWY 401 E in Toronto, and the GOVT called it Highway 401 Express East, leaving each segment with its name will result in two different roads.... which is why we called them all "Highway 401 Express East", in this example)
3. Missing names: a decent proportion of the segments from the GOVT maps do not have names. From what I've seen, this is noticeable around Montreal. In these cases, of course we kept the names given by the users. You should try to keep the consistency in the naming of these streets / highways / autorotues.
4. Routing connectivity: as mentioned before, this is crucial for the new maps to become good for routing and not just pretty :). The routing connectivity will be added as you drive along these streets, but can also be fixed using the cartouche ('connect roads by order of selection'). At a first stage, you might notice routing is a bit 'off', even if it was working fine before.

And one last note - no aerial images yet, and we're sorry about that. Since the aerial images for Canada are from a different provider than the one we're using in the US, we still need to figure out a way to get them in there without causing damage to your neighbors from the south. Hopefully, we'll be able to add them very soon.

thank you for your patience, and if you have any questions about the new maps please feel free to post here or email us
krankyd

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by CBRjack
Very nice to have all the street mapped! I'm currently naming all the nameless streets around where I live (Montreal, QC). Hopefully, I'm not the only one in this area cause there is quite a lot of nameless streets...
CBRjack
Send a message
iPhone 3G • OS 3.1.3 • Waze 1.6
2004 Dodge Grand Caravan
2008 Honda CBR125R
Montreal, QC

Post by istargazer
Thanks for the update. That's awesome. I just checked the Waze app on my phone and the streets are showing up good!
istargazer
Send a message

Post by istargazer
I have a question about the new maps on my phone. When I'm driving around not all the new roads show up. Some areas still show the roads that were before the Canadian base maps were added, while other areas show the new roads.

Is there any way I can force the app to download all the new roads?
istargazer
Send a message

Post by Majumdar
This is absolutely a quantum leap forward for Waze in Canada. Being one of the first to actively record roads from scratch and edit them in Cartouche, it was getting to be a lot of heavy lifting and pretty disheartening.

The new base map is, at first glance, awesome - it even shows very minor dead-end roads out in the countryside, truck weigh stations etc. Great news.
jack2010 wrote:Very nice to have all the street mapped! I'm currently naming all the nameless streets around where I live (Montreal, QC). Hopefully, I'm not the only one in this area cause there is quite a lot of nameless streets...
I was doing a lot of Montreal, South Shore, Monteregie & Eastern Townships work (recording and manual edits in Cartouche) so naming all the new existing new streets in the base map should be great.

Let's just be consistent in naming our roads in Quebec .... it will be a challenge with our bilingual country and variations such as Ste-Catherine vs Sainte Catherine, Est vs. East ... etc.

Waze on!

Rob
Majumdar
Send a message
Area Manager - Quebec, Canada

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Android 4.4.4 | Waze Beta 3.9.3 | Telus Mobility

Post by muchski
Great job waze! Glad that connectivity will be auto when driving over! Not sure if I could connect all the segments in Winnipeg alone but will do what I can, at least on my routes! :P

Thanks for the updates on aerials! Darn US ruins it all for us! :P JK Good luck with implementing the aerials, I hope it is not too tiresome and goes smoothly from now on!
muchski
Send a message
Area Manager - Winnipeg, Canada| Xperia X10 | HTC Desire

Post by redlow
wscotchmer wrote:Prior to the Canadian base map load, we were told to put in "City, Province" for the city names. After the base map load, a lot of the city names went in as "City of Toronto" and "Town of Exeter" and so forth. I emailed the Waze team to see if we should be updating the City names back to "City, Province". They replied to say that they are working on an update script to run through all the city names and revert them to "City, Province". Until they run that script, I would suggest that you don't waste time updating City names.
I am wondering if anyone has heard the status of this, considering it's May... :-) In Milton, ON, we have "Town of Milton", "Milton, Canada" and Guelph, Canada... I don't know how Guelph got in the mix. I would like to see the names as Milton, Ontario. When I do need to change the name from Guelph, Canada to Milton, I select Milton, Canada since it's an option, although most are Town of Milton. It's just too plain wrong for me to choose this.

So, anyone heard any status?
redlow
Send a message
Google Nexus One, Waze for Android
Milton, Ontario

Post by redlow
Yes, I had decided to do a complete 180, and start also renaming everything Milton, Ontario. As you very well know, this is a big project. Considering that every street needs a rename, it's taking a while... but I am plugging away. I am just taking it quadrant by quadrant, so to speak.

It's funny how big Guelph appears... so it stretches from Cambridge through Milton.

I suspect that somehow Guelph is listed as the ultimate location, because when I see Guelph come up as default for many new roads, etc.
redlow
Send a message
Google Nexus One, Waze for Android
Milton, Ontario

Post by RoadRunner-CAN
Lovin' it so far. Drove around a bit today playing with the routing. The routing seems more accurate with the new maps!
RoadRunner-CAN
Send a message
--
iPhone 3Gs
2009 Hyundai Santa Fe
Area Manager: South-Western Ontario, Canada

Post by RoadRunner-CAN
Prior to the Canadian base map load, we were told to put in "City, Province" for the city names. After the base map load, a lot of the city names went in as "City of Toronto" and "Town of Exeter" and so forth. I emailed the Waze team to see if we should be updating the City names back to "City, Province". They replied to say that they are working on an update script to run through all the city names and revert them to "City, Province". Until they run that script, I would suggest that you don't waste time updating City names.
RoadRunner-CAN
Send a message
--
iPhone 3Gs
2009 Hyundai Santa Fe
Area Manager: South-Western Ontario, Canada