Post by doctorkb
viewtopic.php?f=339&t=83745&p=726716#p726716

More interesting TTS stuff:
"The Esplanade N" is pronounced "The Esplanade Enn"
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by DrFrankenstein
On a slightly different note, we should have a list of French abbreviations that have been verified to work with the French TTS as well.
DrFrankenstein
Send a message
[img]https:///yg4dV[/img]

Post by DrFrankenstein
If I stumble upon one that doesn't work, I'll post it here.
DrFrankenstein
Send a message

Post by DrFrankenstein
invented wrote:Pick an obscure location that is wide open for driving and create a Waze island of roads. Then when the map updates you can go drive there and see how things get pronounced.
Is that really how we're supposed to do it? *cringe*
DrFrankenstein
Send a message

Post by EECGeek
invented wrote:so why has hmarian decided to overrule this and use Pkwy instead of Pky, etc?
Having talked to directly to hmarian about this very topic, a while ago, he went that way because that is what the signs say. They say Pkwy not Pky, so as to not confuse anything he went with "Pkwy". While each character, say the "w" is 8 bytes and 1000's of these does add to up to quite a bit, I believe he has the right attitude on this and I think it should be what the sign says. Now both abbreviations give the same TTS output, but I would leave them as per the signage.

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by EECGeek
invented wrote:I mean yeah, but again I go back to the wiki saying that we're supposed to use what Canada post is using for some reason, and didn't see a directive that changed that.
I agree, we should be per the wiki, or we should change the wiki.

"Pky" and "Pkwy" give the same TTS output, so why not use the the shortest short form. Since by law you are not supposed to be looking at your GPS, what is the usefulness of the extra "w"? So we should use "Pky", right? But it should also be as per the signage. So I dunno?
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by erablian
I think the idea of using the Canada Post abbreviations is a good one. It’s the set that Canadians in general will most likely have the least trouble interpreting, since all the large-volume mailers standardize their mail-outs by this system. And it’s the only set of abbreviations we are going to find that treat English and French equally.

The thing with abbreviations is that they are great savers of space and time, but only if the reader can interpret them effortlessly. To be easily understood, they must be commonly used. A lot of the abbreviations in the big spreadsheet are not very common, or at least they look strange to me personally, so I would hesitate to use them.

As for whether the whole Canada Post list has been verified to work correctly on the TTS, good question. That recommendation was already on the wiki when I arrived at Waze about a year ago, and I always assumed that they had been verified working, but I guess it could be that no one has done a thorough test.

It might be an idea to change the wiki to also allow abbreviations that are actually used on local street signs and that have been TTS verified. If they are used on local signs they wouldn’t confuse users. But if we do that, I would also recommend that we also list these local abbreviations by city in the wiki so that we can all edit the map consistently.
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by GizmoGuy411
doctorkb wrote:Before doing that, please PM GizmoGuy411 -- he has been handling a lot of the TTS list maintenance and may be able to give you some tips.
Yes I could. Just stumbled on this, so I am chiming in.

The TTS issues are on-going. As far as testing, I've suspended it until I get better answers from Waze. After I discovered some issues during TTS testing, that may require a complete restest of EVERY item in the list, it made no sense to continue testing until the questions were answered. Those questions I asked at the Global Meetup last fall in Israel are still unanswered. Maybe doctorkb and I can tag team them in Las Vegas to finally get those answers.

Information is already available in the forum thread on how to test TTS. For a more detailed explanation I can be contacted via PM.

Information on some of the questions for Waze are there as we'll.

The biggest concern is that there may be TWO possible results for TTS. One while in route and another when the destination is reached. All to often these are NOT the same. Initially the list was tested under the assumption that one one result was given for any given item. As you can see, that somewhat invalidates the testing results for entire list as it now stands.
[url=https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15178&p=548788&hilit=TTS#p548788]In this post[/url] on Tue 2013-09-10, 18:57:30 GizmoGuy411 wrote:Good news!

As a result of our 2013 Waze Champ Global Meet-Up, I am now in direct contact with Waze staff in regards to the topics covered in this forum thread.

I have submitted an initial issue that needs to be resolved regarding dual TTS issue where there is a difference between the TTS output during a route vs what is said at the destination.

The list of ten things for them to consider that was submitted last year, will be submitted again once the issue above is resolved.

The reason for this is that testing for the other issues will be less complicated once there is only one TTS result, and not two!
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by hmarian
Hello Invented and the rest of you here.
I was away for a while and I see that I was mentioned in this discussion.

I think that the rules should be as follows:
If TTS is valid for Canada Post road suffix it should be used, if not the road suffix should be used according to the TTS so it pronounced properly on the App.
The exception to this will be if the road signage is different to the Canad Post road suffix. The DVP (Don Valley Parkway) in Toronto is a great example. While Canada Post suffix for "Parkway" is "Pky", none of the road signage to the DVP are reading "Don Valley Pky", they are all showing "Don Valley Pkwy", and it is better to use this as it match the road signage and avoid confusion from users.
When it comes to local street that has a "Parkway" suffix, I think that the municipal signage will follow the Canada Post guidance as "Pky".

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by invented
so why has hmarian decided to overrule this and use Pkwy instead of Pky, etc?
invented
Send a message