Suggestion about altering the FC of certain highways

Post by bart99gt
All,

I have driven around SW Kentucky on a couple of occasions the past few weeks (actually just got home from the last trip just a couple of hours ago) and have noticed that there are a *lot* of state highways. I have noticed that most/all of the 3/4 digit state highways are either rather short, or are maintained to a lower level than the 1 and 2 digit routes.

In many ways they remind me of the lettered highways in Missouri, which are considered to be "secondary" highways by their department of transportation and the editors of that state have decided to start classifying as PS if they are (and from the FC maps I looked at, I never saw one that was greater than) a collector. I think the 4 digit highways definitely meet this description, and maybe even a few of the 3 digit ones on a case-by-case basis.

Anyone have any thoughts?
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Xander,

What I'm getting at is that these 4 digit county roads appear to just be state maintained local roads, they may even just be county roads that under whatever agreement the state has with its counties to assist with maintenance of these roads. In any event, the ones I've driven on all appear to be secondary routes.

I just think it is worth considering making these primary streets vs minor highways because it is also creating a situation, like it did in Missouri, that there are little to no collector roads outside of urban areas.

Just something to think about.

Also, I was trying to be added to the Kentucky GHO, and it never seemed to go through. My address is bart.youngblood@gmail.com
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by xanderb
Thanks Bart, Kentucky is in the process of converting state numbered roads to straight FC. If a road is maintained by the state it is given a KY-xxx number. This means everything from controlled access roads down to an alley or just a bridge. We are doing this in conjunction with the renaming project for the move from "State Hwy" to "KY-xxx". While both of these things are very important to us and we would like for them to be done as soon as possible, we are using the opportunity to correct issues for everything attached to the highways as we move down the line. This will be a long process as Kentucky is at the top of the list of states where quantity of state numbered roads are concerned, but we are plugging along and trying to make the map better as we go.
xanderb
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Last edited by xanderb on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by xanderb
You've been added to the GHO. Check your Invitations -> Spam Invitations folder in Hangouts.
xanderb
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message