Emergency Shelter List

Post by xanderb
jbayes, ttninja55, and I would like to ask for your assistance with preparing a list for Waze to use in case of a disaster in Kentucky that would open either Evacuation or Post-event Relief shelters. Currently, if there is an event, we spend time trying to find information on any open shelters one at a time and submit the data for each one to Waze to push to the client for users to find them easier. This process can take several hours. I discussed it with Waze and asked if we could test a proactive list for Kentucky that will have all potential shelters with the option to enable them when they are opened. This has the potential to save us a lot of time and get the information to Wazers in need much sooner.

jbayes has taken the time to train with the Red Cross to get access to their database of shelters and filled in what they have for all of the listings. What we need at this point, is to help fill in the blanks. Editable area is not required for filling in the sheet, but it does help to add the Place in the Waze Map Editor. It would nice to have all of the listings added to the map, whether it is a school, fire department, church, etc. Once they are added and as complete as possible we should select the Place, and zoom in to level 9 or 10 (as close as you can see) to where the Help pin should be added in the app. Copy the PL with the venue and paste into the sheet in the column for PermaLinks.

That will take care of the Red Cross shelters. I have not been successful in locating examples in KY of community storm shelters, but if they exist we want them in there. Some other states have shelters that people can evacuate their homes and wait out tornadoes or other bad storms. We need these added to the sheet if they exist in the state. The Pin Name should be added as "Storm Shelter". If you have any other suggestions of potential shelter types in the state, please let me know.

I have added the Waze_KY_Editors group to have permissions to edit this sheet. If you need to be added to the group, please let me or the state managers know. You can also join a Google Hangout for this project here. Thanks for your assistance, if this project turns out to be helpful, it might be something we use across the country.
xanderb
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:456046

Send a message

Post by jbayes
xanderb wrote:
jbayes wrote:Please verify all addresses for the shelters listed on the sheet. I have found at least one incorrect address.
Are you reporting those to the Red Cross, so it will be corrected on future lists?
I have not yet, however, that would be great if I could do that for them. I would be happy to send corrections back to them.

If an address needs to be corrected, please Comment on the address cell on the sheet with the incorrect and correct address and I will pass it to them. Then, make sure the correct address is the one listed in the cell on the sheet.
jbayes
Send a message

Post by xanderb
jbayes wrote:Please verify all addresses for the shelters listed on the sheet. I have found at least one incorrect address.
Are you reporting those to the Red Cross, so it will be corrected on future lists?
xanderb
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message