Airport Road, New Castle -- consistently flooded section

Post by voludu2
A segment of Airport road in Newark DE has been flooded 24/7 since March of this year, and will be unpassable indefinitely -- until the winter or the next drought or who knows exactly.

Last year, it was open nearly all summer, except after heavy rain, so who knows.

AltemusPrime reports that edits to the segment always seem to get "fixed", which must be pretty frustrating for him. He drives that way 1-2 times every month, so he is our best source of information on that section of road. He just disallowed "turns" through that segment and locked them at level 2.

-------
Here's what I propose:
1) Instead of disallowing "turns" through that segment, use time based restrictions in both directions every day, all day, every week, for all vehicle types, with a note about why
2) Create a report tagged [CLOSURE] with an explanation and a request not to close the report.
3) Ask AltemusPrime if he is willing to keep an eye on this, remove the restrictions and the report if it seems like the area is having a dry season, and put them back in place after the drought is over.
4) Should he ever want or need to move on from maintaining that portion of the waze map, he can just leave a new perma-report behind for the next interested editor. The situation would be no worse than it is now.

Is this a good idea? AltemusPrime -- are you willing?

------
Actually, I went ahead and did 1) and 2) already. If more experienced editors prefer a different approach, I'll be happy enough to repair the damage.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=3750972
voludu2

POSTER_ID:16966196

Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AltemusPrime
Your proposal sounds OK but, in my experience, because the road is there on the map and the turns are allowed on the map Waze will still direct people through there. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match so I will know firsthand whether your note stops Waze from directing me down that road or not within the next few days as I have to visit my vendor in that area again.
AltemusPrime
Send a message

Post by MReiser
The time based restriction seems to be holding up nicely. Has anyone been routed through here?

Would anyone like a Level 4 lock on it?
MReiser
Send a message
https://j.mp/1ofo6nc https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... 00k_4c.png
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0

Post by Poncewattle
TBRs are pretty well hidden from noobs. :)

I just made a small edit to the name of the road because the convention I've seen for that is (CLOSED) in caps. (anal is my middle name)
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
What I meant, they are kind of hidden in the editor, unless you have an addon highlighting them.
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
voludu2 and I are both 3s. That seems the most logical lock so we can edit as needed -- unless you don't mind being bugged :) Hmm, I just looked at it. It *was* locked at 2. We were both 2's back then, so I raised it to 3 at least.

I work down the road from this. I should take a ride up there and see if it's still closed.

But to answer your first question, no, I was ignoring a route the other day as I went up 95 to see how various recalculations worked and one of them should have taken me down that road and it didn't as I passed by. So it's working.
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I'm sorry to have struck a wrong note with you. I want to come up with a solution that will ease your frustration and inexperienced editors (even level 2 editors) from wanting to "fix" things. I am relatively inexperienced myself.

I think that the time-based restrictions ought to stop waze from routing people down that road.
I just un-involved the nearby segments so that other editors would not get confused about what is going on at that location. Only the segment involved in the closure has to be edited to close or open the segment.

We'll know within a day or two how successful that is!

And I hope that the note I added will warn editors not to undo the time-based restrictions, and to consult you if they think they want to "fix" it, since you are the expert on that stretch of road.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Thanks for the fix. I learned about TBRs because they really pop out in the livemap, and were involved in the 495 closure. So I guess I might have learned it more quickly than other noobs have.
voludu2
Send a message

voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think the current lock level is sufficient. As it is, poncewattle or I can easily handle re-opening it as the weather cools. I might consider a 2 sufficient, especially with the perma-UR [CLOSURE] note there.

I think our friend who drives through there all the time might be a 2, and he would certainly be in a good position to notice if the waters recede.
voludu2
Send a message