lewes cape may ferry

Post by familyz
On Friday 1/16/15 at 11:15 waze directed me to the Lewes to Cape May ferry without taking the ferry schedule into account.
Start point from rehoboth beach de and end brooklyn ny
The wait would have been over an hour and the eta did not reflect that.
familyz

POSTER_ID:17035818

Send a message

Post by MReiser
Yeah, wow...that's a big issue. To make it worse, the winter ferry schedule is dramatically cut back, while in the summer if you don't buy tickets in advance, you may not make it on board at all.

This is a major issue, I don't think Waze should be routing via ferries until there are considerations for schedules,etc. Unfortunately, I can't turn off routing there as I'm only a rank 4. This needs to be addressed quickly!
MReiser
Send a message
https://j.mp/1ofo6nc https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... 00k_4c.png
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0

Post by Poncewattle
It *should* -- I think the problem is, people turn off Waze while waiting on the boat and/or being onthe boat and hence it doesn't pick up good data between the points.

I looked at the data and it's really bad. It shows the average speed going across the bay at 40 mph when according to the Wiki for the ferry the speed of the ferry is 18 mph. Plus the average wait to get on the boat is about 5 minutes. So it's not very accurate at all and will result in recommending this route over going the land route even if it's much slower.

This needs to be looked at... Thanks for the post.

Edit: Posted a message in routing forum about this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126468
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
This brought up a more general discussion of ferry routing issues at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126468&p=1041522#p1016973

And led to the Lewes-Cape May ferry being marked private. This will prevent anybody from ever given a route involving the ferry (unless all other routes to brooklyn are closed), but it seems to be the best solution we can come up with, given how Waze currently works.
voludu2
Send a message