Standard for Route Naming in DE

Post by mishterhaz
DE editors,
The standard for the naming of US Routes was changed to:
US-xx (from US Hwy xx)
in January 2012 in order to save precious map real estate and to shorten TTS delivery time.

US Highways should:
  • be named according to the US-xx convention,
  • include directional indicators (i.e., "US-40 E") for all split portions of the route,
  • include local names where appropriate (i.e., when signed primarily using the local name; when
  • home/business addresses are given using a local name)
  • be navigationally sound, including all intersections and turnarounds, and
  • have, when access is partially- or fully-limited, properly-named ramps according to signage.
For example

INTERSTATE:
  • I-95 N
    I-495 S
US HIGHWAYS:
Try to keep local names as primary (e.g. Pulaski Hwy) and put below as alternate name.
  • US-40 W (Split "1-way" segments)
    US-13 (Unsplit "2-way" segments)
STATE ROUTES:
Try to keep local names as primary (e.g. S College Ave) and put below as alternate name. (more info)
  • SR-1 S (Split "1-way" segments)
    SR-896 (Unsplit "2-way" segments)
ONRAMP:
  • to I-95 N / Wilmington / Philadelphia
    to I-495 S / Newport / Baltimore
OFFRAMP:
  • numbered exit: Exit 114: South Smyrna
    numbered exit with multiple names: Exit 165B: I-95 N / Wilmington / Philadelphia
    numbered exit with multiple exits: Exit 4A-B: SR-1 / SR-7 / SR-58 / Mall Rd / Dover / Churchmans Crossing
    non-numbered exit: Exit to SR-1 S / Dover
Caution!
  • You need to have Level 5 to be able to change most of these highway names
  • Finish what you started--don't leave things done halfway!
Any questions please contact me (mishterhaz) or our Regional Manager: Jondrush

*shamelessly copied from orbitc's post in the NJ forum. Thank you for the awesome work!
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3438107

Send a message
Last edited by mishterhaz on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager: Northern DE, NJ and MD
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by CBenson
Couple of minor comments:
Under US Highways, I would use "Pulaski Hwy" as the example for completeness.
Under Offramp, in the third example you use "SR" examples, seems that these should be "DE" for consistency.
I probably should have chimed in on the NJ version, but I don't understand the admonishment to "NEVER stop halfway."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I subscribe more to the fix what's broken editing model, so I guess I jump around a bit more. Standard looks fine to me. I stickied the topic.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
No objections, but I would never have come up with that on my own. This is not a big deal at all. But my thoughts are that naming the roads is not like making all the connections on an interchange. Waze is still going to work if a road name changes format. Read completely literally, it would mean that I should never make a name change to I-95 because I'm not going to check the road from end-to-end to make sure that I-95 is completely named that way. However, I think most people won't get hung up on this and will understand that they should merely complete each task that they start as each edit they make will go live with the periodic tile builds.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Argh! :lol:
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mishterhaz
CBenson wrote:Couple of minor comments:
Under US Highways, I would use "Pulaski Hwy" as the example for completeness.
Under Offramp, in the third example you use "SR" examples, seems that these should be "DE" for consistency.
I probably should have chimed in on the NJ version, but I don't understand the admonishment to "NEVER stop halfway."
Thanks for the second pair of eyes, fixed!

As for "never stop halfway" -- I left that in there because I believe in part to just reinforce the fact that you should try to complete entire areas at a time, and definitely NOT skip around.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
russblau wrote:Has anyone tested yet how "DE-1" is pronounced by Waze TTS?
"Dee Eee One"
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
russblau wrote:
mishterhaz wrote:
russblau wrote:Has anyone tested yet how "DE-1" is pronounced by Waze TTS?
"Dee Eee One"
That doesn't seem very desirable. I'd rather hear "State Route" or even just "Route".
So would I, but officially all state routes in Delaware are referred to as "Delaware Route XXX". Much like in Louisiana, where everything is LA-XXX. Many other states refer to their routes the same way, Kansas, Michigan, etc. The hope is that eventually Waze will recognize this and the TTS will say "Delaware One" or "Delaware Route One".
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
russblau wrote:Well, no offense, but who cares what they are officially called? We are giving directions to drivers, not providing testimony in court. I'd rather know what drivers call the road than what the DOT calls it.
I can agree with you on the point of "we are giving directions to drivers, not providing testimony in court." But, my impression at least, is that there is a push in the Waze community to name state and country roads according to how they are locally designated. So in Michigan (for example, since I was driving around there this weekend for a wedding), their state roads are "Michigan XXX", and Waze was signed as "M-XXX". Odd, not necessarily the nicest thing, but it matched the signs and the terminology in the area.
russblau wrote:I agree, the best solution would be if the software devs would allow us to decouple the text on the map from the spoken text, but so far that ability does not exist.
That would definitely be nice. Maybe I'm delusional, but I could have sworn I saw a phonetic input at one point, but it was removed. Either way, such an improvement would be great to allow for better pronunciation of road names (like Pulaski Hwy...) but who knows when and how it would be implemented.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
Based on some new information from DELDOT, it looks like "State Route" is going to be more accepted. Some of their official maps are now listing "State Route 1" or "State Route 7". Most construction signs are now referring to the routes as "SR-1 N" for example. I changed only a few sections of SR-1 to DE-1 as a trial. The TTS is a bit wonky, saying "Dee Eee 1" -- and frankly if the DOT is now going to start showing construction signs as SR-1, we may as well adhere to that standard, given that the majority of the country does that too.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester