Post by mishterhaz
jondrush wrote:Argh! :lol:
Yeah when I started reading this stuff on the DOT pages, I just about threw my hands up and said "I GIVE UP!" haha...but from now on, it's definitely going to stay as State Route. I don't care. :lol:
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager: Northern DE, NJ and MD
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
Just chiming in here: as far as I've read and understood, there are no "county roads" in DE. Some of the instances I've seen from slower lower ( ;) ) have "Rd 123". When I've driven around some of those areas, I've noticed that "Rd 123" will occasionally be signed as such, but will more generally be "Roadname Rd". For those instances, I will make the primary name "Roadname Rd" and set "Rd 123" as the alternate.

As for the "US-13" vs. Dupont Hwy argument (for example), I generally have been going with signage. For example, the majority of US-40 through Delaware is signed as Pulaski Hwy, but there are a few spots where it is signed as "US-40". In those cases, I have left it as Pulaski Hwy and the alternate is US-40.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager: Northern DE, NJ and MD
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by MReiser
TR-11 wrote:Is there an active project to rename all the US-13/US-113 segments in the state to their appropriate street name (Dupont Hwy/Pkwy/Blvd)?
I made a change to the name of US-13 in Sussex County (from Bridgeville south to Delmar) to Sussex Hwy after I realized all the street signs at intersections showed the street name. I haven't gone farther than that. Have you noticed anything other than that?
MReiser
Send a message
https://j.mp/1ofo6nc https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... 00k_4c.png
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0

Post by orbitc
CBenson wrote:Couple of minor comments:
Under US Highways, I would use "Pulaski Hwy" as the example for completeness.
Under Offramp, in the third example you use "SR" examples, seems that these should be "DE" for consistency.
I probably should have chimed in on the NJ version, but I don't understand the admonishment to "NEVER stop halfway."
I updated it that, now it says: "NEVER leave it incomplete."
What do you think?
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
CBenson wrote:No objections, but I would never have come up with that on my own. This is not a big deal at all. But my thoughts are that naming the roads is not like making all the connections on an interchange. Waze is still going to work if a road name changes format. Read completely literally, it would mean that I should never make a name change to I-95 because I'm not going to check the road from end-to-end to make sure that I-95 is completely named that way. However, I think most people won't get hung up on this and will understand that they should merely complete each task that they start as each edit they make will go live with the periodic tile builds.
Thanks for your input.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by Poncewattle
US-202 is also named that and not Concord Pike.

I personally abhor street names in navigation, especially when I'm traveling in areas I'm unfamiliar with. I want to get instructions using route numbers. But the street names are pretty vital for address searching along those segments, so we're stuck with it. :(

It also creates issues when people create place names because it suggests the address using the closest segment's "street" name so there's some things along Concord Pike with an address like "2015 US-202 N" instead of "2015 Concord Pike" (which I correct when I see them)
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
TR-11 wrote:Understood. I was just reading through the Wiki page and thought this might be a good idea to implement in DE.
Not saying it's not a bad idea to implement it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad idea! :lol: If there are residential or businesses along a roadway that have addresses as a street name then the segment should probably be named after the street name.

Now I *HAVE* seen cases where addresses have the route numbers in them. For example:

http://www.lurayzoo.com/

The Luray Zoo * 1087 Us Highway 211 West * Luray, Virginia 22835

Now you want to see ugly? The west part of that address is because it's on the west side of the town. However the business is on the eastbound side of the highway. So the standard for naming on Waze is the segment should be US 211 E and the other side is US 211 W. So the address shows incorrectly as 1087 US 211 E in this case. So to be correct I should make the primary name US Highway 211 West and the alt name US 211 E but then if someone is driving northbound and approaches 211 and has to turn right (east) they'd be instructed to "turn right on US Highway 211 West" which is confusing :shock:

But I digress.... I do wish Waze would separate the route numbers as a separate field from street name instead of overloading them into one space.... It's pretty ridiculous.
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
This topic is being retired as 1) its main point is now a well-known standard and documented in teh wiki, and 2) some of the information is outdated and no longer correct. It will be locked and demoted to a standard topic.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by russblau
Has anyone tested yet how "DE-1" is pronounced by Waze TTS?
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by russblau
mishterhaz wrote:
russblau wrote:Has anyone tested yet how "DE-1" is pronounced by Waze TTS?
"Dee Eee One"
That doesn't seem very desirable. I'd rather hear "State Route" or even just "Route".
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message