New Delaware Wiki Page

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

New Delaware Wiki Page

Postby jondrush » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm

In case you haven't noticed the announcement here, there is a new Delaware wiki page in need of editing. Please volunteer to make changes and add your Area Manager info at the bottom.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: New Delaware Wiki Page

Postby jondrush » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:53 pm

voludu2 wrote:The Waze model for putting city name on the segments is just fundamentally flawed.
That's the problem.
<snip>
Waze needs to move place information into a separate polygon layer that can be edited and locked.

And create even one more layer for zip code polygons (readily available in the US from several sources, based on mail route info supplied by the USPS), and probably the same for postal codes in other countries.

<snip>

Google handles this OK; if waze wants to get away from depending on google for address lookup, it will have to learn to handle it as well.

Until then, there is no sane way for map editors to handle city information, because nothing we can do will help very much. And the cities layer is really a smudged mess because of competing needs for how to use it -- for visual orientation as well as for routing. and also because of editor ignorance, confusion, and disinterest in the whole problem.

Here is something I posted to NJ forum that applies here:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p863761

In a nutshell, don't get twisted up worrying about all the variables in address search, it is beyond our capabilities anyhow. Just worry about making the best map.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby mishterhaz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Great. Since the Government is shutdown, I suddenly find myself with a lot of free time...thanks for the heads up!
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MReiser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:59 pm

I would like to get the Delaware Wiki page up to current standards. Would anyone like to handle making the edits? Does anyone have any updates they feel need to be made?
MReiser

Postby MReiser » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

This is great! Thanks everyone for stepping up. I'd love to have the Delaware Wiki up to par with the other Northeast states. We should have a discussion about setting state standards. Perhaps we can go through the NY, NJ, and or PA Wiki pages to determine what needs to be standardized?

For instance, I think we need to make sure we're consistent with city names. Unlike PA & NJ, there are large portions of Delaware that are unincorporated (Hundreds don't count). We need to set a policy for that.
MReiser

Postby MReiser » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Poncewattle wrote:FYI all.... PM sent to kentsmith9 asking to move the page into place.

Edit: OK, it's live. I had to log in to see it. I assume it's a cache issue that eventually clears up on its own.

It looks great, thanks!
MReiser

Postby PesachZ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:53 am

orbitc wrote:In Northeast Region (Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania) standard for locking roads based on segment type. This means that any road of a certain segment type should be locked at least to the rank in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher if necessary for special situations, but should not be locked lower.

A great time to implement these locks is while performing the FC Upgrade of an area. Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to FC standards.
LS.png

I created a template for the northeast region using these guidelines so they can easily be added to any state wiki page. Feel free to check it out and put it on your individual state pages.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p884575

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

I did most of the work on the new NY page using the templates. If you have any specific questions, or need help feel free to reach out.

We have a wiki page tracking recurring closures using a template which is fairly easy to use. Take a look. It is on a subpage of the closures section at New York/Closures.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Poncewattle wrote:OK, so much for my bravado. Perhaps I could use a hand after all. :lol:

Please delete my mistaken "backup" page in the main hierarchy named Delaware_Backup.... Sigh..... Here's the deletion link.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ion=delete

I created a copy of the current Delaware page in my own user area:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Poncewa ... are_Backup

I looked at the source for the state template NY uses. Looks like I have to run some PHP script to create the page but it's not clear if it will replace the current page or the current page has to be deleted first. Could you advise or do that process to create the empty template? Then I'll go in and incorporate stuff from the backup copy I made and then start adding new stuff including the closure part.

Thanks! :)

I added the {{ToDelete}} template to the page, a wiki admin will have to delete it. This helps them find it when do their sweeps.

NY uses the standard state template, no php needed. In order to use it, it has to be setup in the main space as a subpage of the states page, and the name must start with test.so for example you can set it up at [[Delaware/Test template]]. To learn more about how it works read the talk page and related forum for the main state template page [[USA/CommonState]]

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:24 pm

You may want to copy the places locking standard from the NY page

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next