Post by Poncewattle
PesachZ wrote:You may want to copy the places locking standard from the NY page
A little confused. I had already included it, it's actually template code from the New York page...

Code: Select all

==== Locking standard ====

{{:USA/Northeast/Locking standard}}
Are you saying I should copy the content over instead?
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
voludu2 wrote:Made those two changes. Get Well Soon.
Almost going to ask if you're psychic. Yeah, I've been home sick for the past two days and have been in and out of bed a lot.

Thanks.
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
For your consideration on the city thing, the Virginia standard

In short, in unincorporated areas, city name is left empty except in densely populated northern VA.

viewtopic.php?f=580&t=61223&start=30#p936545

This creates some problems when doing searches for addresses. If a city name is missing, it will default to the Google search result -- which may be wrong, unless you specifically search for an address with no city name.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=111106&p=910851

The notable quote on that thread:
Maybe it's time to reconsider the Virginia standard. No one in their right mind is ever going to search for "1204 Arrowhead Rd., Virginia" unless, of course, they are told by a Waze map editor that that is the only way this app is going to find their destination.
As for Hundreds, I don't know of anyone who searches for addresses based on hundreds, so not sure that is a good idea.

I think there's a strong consideration to make that this is a navigation app first and foremost so anything that aids in that end is something that should be strongly considered, so, for example, even though my house is not in Newark, DE proper, it's mailing address is in Newark and I think if someone was searching for it they'd look for it based on my mailing address -- especially if I was in their contact list. Basically people search for addresses. And addresses are based on postal mailing addresses. And Waze uses the city field to find addresses. So the city name should be what the post office thinks it is because that would aid in helping people find places.

Yeah, that'd mean "Wilmington" would spread all over the northern part of the state if you turn the city layer on.

We'd also have to decide on some aliases too. Like 19808 is considered both Wilmington and Marshallton by the post office. (Nothing is every easy....)
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
So .... while we hash out how to fix the city problem, can there be a consensus to move the Delaware page from "test" to replace the live one out there now?! :)

As for the city discussion, guess we can look at what it'd look at and decide using real life examples:

For example --- http://www.zipmap.net/Delaware/New_Cast ... Castle.htm

I realize that's copyrighted so not saying to use this for anything beyond conceptual discussion right now, but it shows the outline of the town boundaries of New Castle versus the zip code of New Castle which extends quite a bit further. Within the northern area of that zip code is "Wilmington Manor" which is currently mapped in Waze as a "city" but I always considered it more as a suburban development.

I guess a good question to ask is, are there any other states using postal definitions of cities to define cities in Waze?
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
One more thing, I finally copied over the PLACES locking standard from New York with a minor change. I made it rank 3, not 4. The logic being that Delaware currently has a dearth of 4+ editors so I think that's a good compromise between security and flexibility. @MReiser4670 and/or @PesachZ -- I'll respect your decision on this one of course! :)
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
Makes sense. OK, critical ones changed. Thanks.
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
FYI all.... PM sent to kentsmith9 asking to move the page into place.

Edit: OK, it's live. I had to log in to see it. I assume it's a cache issue that eventually clears up on its own.
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I just started a list of mapping resources at https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Delaware#Mapping_Resources
Please join in
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
following this discussion of Using external sources I have added a warning against using this information to create information in Waze. Instead, I suggest any wazer could ask the state or counties in DE to use a copyright statemenat that makes this information freely available --- but then we still have to wait for the Waze team to tell us it is OK to use it, I guess...
voludu2
Send a message