RI Effort: Important Places

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, banished

Re: RI Effort: Important Places

Postby GooberKing » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:25 am

Ehh... The problem with that is, how do you determine what's relevant for a visitor? It depends on why they're visiting! If we include stadiums, does that mean we need to include other tourist attractions like museums, or art galleries, or monuments, etc? If we include convention centers, do we also need to include other venues like theaters, or parks, or function halls, etc? It just opens up a whole can of ducks...

While it is important to consider places in the context of navigation, I think the central issue for this effort is to identify and standardize places that you would normally find on a map in general. Sounds to me like they want us to look all professional-like, and that means having all the essential places mapped out and named correctly, regardless of navigation considerations...
[ img ]
State Manager of Rhode Island (and also Connecticut)
RI Wiki | RI To Do List
Verizon | Android 5.1 | Waze v4.15.0.2
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Ohmanrayman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:28 am

Every place that I can think of that could be considered important has already been mentioned. I have been working on most of the northern RI Fire Stations/Departments in my free time. Woonsocket, Cumberland, Lincoln Burriville and Smithfield are all set just as long as they match the standardization when we make it.(Hopefully they do) They have all the information and the name the city/town uses for them plus in the description there is "In the case of an Emergency, call 911."
It does get difficult when one town has multiple fire districts in it like Lincoln and Burriville and plenty of more. Lincoln has five different fire districts each with their own station and name. This means there is no Lincoln Fire Department Stations 1-5 but Albion FD, Lime Rock FD, Lonsdale FD and etc. Maybe for FD like this, an alternative name could be ""City" Fire Department, "Street"" That's just an idea to help those who don't really know the villages of their town.
Ohmanrayman
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MojaveCactusMonkey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:31 am

Rmember, one of the things we need to do on RI wiki is list the official resources for naming schemes. So that if one area uses a naming method for fire stations, it may not be the same for another city in Rhode Island. In the fire department remember the category is the common denominator. So if you search for fire department, it should bing up fire departments no matter what they are called. Like fire departments sometimes have their name on a sign on the front.

The school system should have a naming scheme for each school. So imho we should have wiki referring to official resources.

In regards to stadium, it's a commercial entity, but you simply utilize the official name.

Gas stations don't have to be a seperate project. As we come across them, use the company website station locator. The brand is different than the name. We don't have to name them their dba name, it can be the name on the front of the convenience store part of the gas station.
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby MojaveCactusMonkey » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:49 pm

MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby SanzClew » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 am

Uh oh - I smell homework for the GK.
[ img ] [ img ]
USA CM | NER MSM | MA SM | RI SM
Waze, because you don't have enough to do in real life.....
Mass Wiki / CT Wiki / RI Wiki / NH Wiki / VT Wiki / ME Wiki
SanzClew
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby GooberKing » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Egads! You want us to standardize every single business name? That's going to take forever! D:
[ img ]
State Manager of Rhode Island (and also Connecticut)
RI Wiki | RI To Do List
Verizon | Android 5.1 | Waze v4.15.0.2
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby angeloscuro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:11 am

So how is this coming along? Seams like it kinda dropped off the radar.

Standardizing every business name would be a lot of work but it would look nice in the end...
angeloscuro
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:05 am

It's currently in the works still, but the majority will be done at the national and regional level. We will still have the responsibility of standardizing local chain businesses. Any notable that comes to mind?
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby angeloscuro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:51 pm

I was thinking Dunkin' Donuts in particular as I have seen it many ways. Stop and Shop is another good one, McDonald's basically anything with a special character particularly an apostrophe
angeloscuro
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Those are considered national chains and a standard has been set for them already by a group of people working on "Place Name Harmonization." When RI has its mapraid (in the near future), we will be able to apply those standards here. :)
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Rhode Island