FC Changes in RI

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, banished

FC Changes in RI

Postby GooberKing » Mon May 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Are there any plans to update the roads in RI to match the new FC road designations? I'm noticing a lot of principal arterials still marked as "Minor Highways", for example.

I'm a native RIer who's been working his way up to level 2, so if there's anything I can help out with in the RI/MA area, let me know!
[ img ]
State Manager of Rhode Island (and also Connecticut)
RI Wiki | RI To Do List
Verizon | Android 5.1 | Waze v4.15.0.2
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Re: FC Changes in RI

Postby GooberKing » Mon May 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Here's a handy-dandy map I found on the RIDOT site which should help

http://www.dot.ri.gov/documents/maps/Functionalmap.pdf
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby GooberKing » Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 am

So I went ahead and cleaned up the Westerly area and Aquidneck Island. There's a locked portion of Post Rd I was unable to change to a Major Highway, and I didn't get all the Primary Streets in Newport since I haven't had a chance to drive to some of those areas with Waze yet. If anyone else can lend a hand, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll keep plugging away!
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby BaronScot » Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm

I can pitch in a little after I complete a similar project in my home state of mass
BaronScot

Postby GooberKing » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:25 pm

I've been working my way up the state, and figured it'd be a good idea to start tracking these changes on the RI To-Do page. I've broken everything out by town, so feel free to update this list with any changes you make for this effort, especially if you can finish off the changes I started in areas that I haven't had the chance to drive through yet.

Thanks for your help!
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby grsing » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm

I've been working my way along the 95 corridor, updating the wiki. There will definitely need to be some level 5 love to finish out the state, and there should probably be a discussion about which "Other Freeways & Expressways" should be upgraded to freeway. Since "Other Expressways" and "Principal Arterials" are both classed as "Major Highway", and the RI map doesn't differentiate between "Other Freeways" and "Other Expressways", at this point there will be quite a few major, limited access highways (ie, freeways) that are the same classification as 2 or 4 lane roads with lots of lights, which I can only imagine will mess with the routing.
grsing

Postby grsing » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:19 pm

I put an extra section in the wiki at the bottom for unlock requests. I figure it'll be easier to get a big list of everything that needs to be done, and then ask for a level 5 to spend an hour knocking out all of them, rather than doing it in bits and pieces.

Also, given the rather imprecise nature of the RI FC map, there are definitely places where you have to take your best guess of which road is which. If somebody else is looking at a road I did and you think I picked the wrong one, feel free to change it to what you think is right.
grsing

Postby GooberKing » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:52 am

Great idea! I've added mine in as well, and also added an intro blurb for other editors.

One note: You might want to embed your links inside the description text, as the permalinks can get quite unwieldy when displayed on the page. You can copy my links if you need an example.
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby grsing » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks, I meant to figure out how to do that yesterday but ran out of time.

Also, I just added a section of Major Highways that, at my first look, should be upgraded to Freeways. They're pretty much all locked at level 5 so I couldn't change them myself if I wanted to, but I wanted to put a list out for discussion and consensus among the RI editor community, then we can get a level 5 editor involved.
grsing

Postby GooberKing » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Cool beans. The list looks good, and I've added a few suggestions in the Talk Page for the To Do list. Figured any other wiki editors can discuss the topic there.
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Next

Return to Rhode Island