URs on I-66 HOV, I-395 HOV, I-95/I-395 Express Lanes

Moderators: delilush, ply8808, nzahn1, stephenr1966, ct13

Re: URs on I-66 HOV, I-395 HOV, I-95/I-395 Express Lanes

Postby subs5 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm

All US users of the Waze app now have transponders and passes available.

"J. Average User" doesn't normally come to the forums to see what is up.

But you can give the following direction in a UR

"Go to SETTINGS>NAVIGATION> Add toll/HOV passes> Select EZPASS-VA or EZPASS FLEX as applicable.

Since Waze does not know the number of passengers on a trip, if there is a requirement then you will see HOV-2+ or HOV-3+ on the route option. Click that if you meet the requirements for the HOV"

People are self certifying that they meet the HOV requirement either by number of people in the car or if there is a special Virginia license plate for that road
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby GregoryKoch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 pm

The bottom line is that Waze should not be directing people on to EZ-Pass only roads if they do not have an EZ-Pass. It is not legal for them to drive on 66 during rush hour, or on the Express Lanes, etc. and Waze shouldn't be configured to let them do so when we have the opportunity to disallow it. Otherwise, what was the point of the update?
GregoryKoch

Postby subs5 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:32 am

That will occur on Saturday. We are giving people a week to figure out the transponders. The Express Lanes were set up for the toll road just as they have been for years. Turn avoid toll roads on in your settings till Sat.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby GregoryKoch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 am

subs5 wrote:That will occur on Saturday. We are giving people a week to figure out the transponders. The Express Lanes were set up for the toll road just as they have been for years. Turn avoid toll roads on in your settings till Sat.

The problem with that is that if I'm driving home from work, I have two toll options - the Express Lanes and the Dulles Toll Road. And I want it to give me the latter if it's a good option. Just not the former. That being said, I'm at home and won't be driving home from work again until Monday so we should be good now.
GregoryKoch

Postby subs5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:24 am

Unfortunately you still won't be able to say this toll road but not that one.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby GregoryKoch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 am

subs5 wrote:Unfortunately you still won't be able to say this toll road but not that one.

Right, but the (Dulles) Toll Road doesn't require an EZ-Pass, so if I tell it I don't have an EZ-Pass (even though I do) it won't route me onto the Express Lanes, but will route me onto the Dulles Toll Road if it's the best route, correct?
GregoryKoch

Postby subs5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 am

GregoryKoch wrote:
Right, but the (Dulles) Toll Road doesn't require an EZ-Pass, so if I tell it I don't have an EZ-Pass (even though I do) it won't route me onto the Express Lanes, but will route me onto the Dulles Toll Road if it's the best route, correct?

Yes after Sat it won't route you on I-66 unless you say you have an EZPass or an EZPassFlex.

If you do add a transponder then you can select avoid toll roads till you are past I-66 then if you turn off avoid toll roads it will recalculate using the Dulles Toll Road (in case you ever get an EZPass)...
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby GregoryKoch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:46 am

subs5 wrote:
GregoryKoch wrote:

Yes after Sat it won't route you on I-66 unless you say you have an EZPass or an EZPassFlex.

If you do add a transponder then you can select avoid toll roads till you are past I-66 then if you turn off avoid toll roads it will recalculate using the Dulles Toll Road (in case you ever get an EZPass)...

I assume when you refer to 66 you mean only during HOT times in the peak direction? I often take 66 to the Toll Road in the off-peak direction (West in the morning, East in the evening.) I assume it will still allow me to do that, since there's no EZ-Pass requirement? As long as I don't go to work forgetting I'm supposed to telework that day and immediately head home. :-)
GregoryKoch

Postby subs5 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:25 am

Yes it is set up for free transit for all expect during the Express Lane hours. Eastbound in the morning and westbound in the afternoon. Monday -Friday.

Feel free to look at the requirements yourself at this section.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby mal138 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:27 pm

GregoryKoch wrote:
The problem with that is that if I'm driving home from work, I have two toll options - the Express Lanes and the Dulles Toll Road. And I want it to give me the latter if it's a good option. Just not the former. That being said, I'm at home and won't be driving home from work again until Monday so we should be good now.

Yep, that's exactly my issue too. It would be great to be able to exclude certain toll roads or exclude variable toll roads. I occasionally carpool on my way to work in order to take the I-66 HOT lanes for free, and I have to say that I have an EZ-pass for Waze to even consider that route. The problem is on the way home, if I'm by myself, Waze doesn't even give me the option to bypass I-66 but still take the Dulles Toll Road. Is there any trick I'm missing, other than constantly adding and removing the toll transponder from the settings?
mal138

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia