Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jasonh300
For those of you working on the Functional Classification Project, please take a look at this post for some tips, based on a lot of the problems I'm finding in both edited and unedited areas. This is not directly related to functional classification, but it's good info for general cleanup.

viewtopic.php?f=596&t=103359
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
By the way...

US and state highway systems also play a part in road type. Functional class and highway system each determine the minimum type a road should be. This chart, along with the text of the article it's in, should help you to understand how it works, but keep in mind that Mississippi's handling of rural major collectors is different than some states'. (Also, I don't think Mississippi's usage of county roads really justifies setting them all to at least PS.)

Sorry for any confusion, and sorry if you have to go back and re-edit certain areas now. I can offer a hand in that. Let me know if you have any questions. I can create a Mississippi-specific version of that chart if you think it would be helpful.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I went ahead and created that Mississippi-specific chart. Hope it helps.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mississippi# ... ence_chart
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Hmm – OK. I was just keeping the rule as Jason had written it, but I think it's a better idea to default to the lower of the two types, unless the road becomes the higher of the two as it enters an urban area.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
bart99gt wrote:I made an edit to one of the footnotes on the FC chart to clear things up a bit. I've seen a few sections of road that were improperly classified and I think it may be due to some confusion about how to interpret the chart.

Basically, as per the discussion above, if there is more than one choice in the chart, default to the LOWER of the two.

My personal preference is to carry the urban classification (if it is higher than the surrounding rural one) out far enough to provide a transition from the urban to rural environment (if someone needs examples, just ask), and to keep a road from changing classification(s) back and forth because it skips in and out of an urban area.

Remember, the chart is a MINIMUM classification. If you feel, that in your judgement, that a road should be classified higher, then do so. These maps only get updated every few years, so roads may have been widened, reconfigured, etc...
This seems more or less consistent with what I meant. The point is that a road shouldn't drop down in type between two urban areas, it should remain consistent through its rural stretch.

So if a road is Minor Hwy in one urban area, then goes thru rural where it could be Minor Hwy or PS, then gets to another urban area where it's Minor Hwy, then Minor Hwy should be chosen. In other words, this is the situation that overcomes the default lower choice.

Otherwise, the lower of the two is fine, for example if the road is PS in one urban area, PS or Minor between, and Minor in the next urban area, then PS is fine.

That may be what you're saying anyway, I just wasn't clear. The "far enough to provide a transition" language is what threw me off.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
No, that would only be appropriate if there weren't a Major Collector portion at all. The moment it becomes Major Collector, Major Hwy is not an option (unless it's a US Highway).

The way you've been doing it is good. In your example, I would carry the MH through to the Interstate, then continue as mH after that, even if it weren't a state highway – the higher of the two types available for a Major Collector, because the road is Major Highway on both ends, and Minor Highway is the higher type available for Major Collectors.

I think I'm having a hard time explaining this clearly but I'm kinda pressed for time at the moment. Basically, if it would result in continuity – whether perfect or not – choose the higher option. By "imperfect continuity" I mean that, if it's what's available to you, having the road switch from MH to mH to, later, MH again makes more sense than MH to PS to MH.

Anyway, continuing it to the Interstate is a very good practice, and an important exercise in grid continuity, which is a concept I've been wanting to speak on for a while but which I haven't had much time for yet.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Only when it's a Rural Minor Arterial through that rural area, which does suggest a relatively high-traffic function, though perhaps not quite to the level of a Principal Arterial. Still, an arterial nonetheless.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Oh, I think I may have either misread or misunderstood your hypothetical.

Code: Select all

URBAN      ]]     rural     rural       rural     [[   URBAN
--Princ Art--]]-Minor Art---{Interstate}--Maj Coll--[[-Minor Art--
    Major       Major/Minor               Minor/PS     Minor
I reread it and I think this is what you're saying – top row is urban vs. rural area; bottom row is corresponding Waze type. In this case, I would choose Major and Minor respectively for the two sections: Major to extend the urban grid to the Interstate intersection; Minor to give continuity between the two urban areas when the type in both urban areas is at least Minor Arterial. Is this making sense?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Just pick up the rural classification. By that I assume you mean pick the lower of the two alternatives.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tel601
Picayune- complete pearl river county - complete
tel601
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message