Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

State Hwy 28. Renaming to MS-28 or SR-28?

Post by majorjc_MS
While editing the map today I noticed that there are people naming this Hwy differently.

MS-28 by mlbrickner(3) in July.
SR-28 by scruffy151(4) in 2013.

Hwy 28 and State Hwy 28 look like the old naming and is being replaced. I also see some sections named Simpson Hwy 28.

I was going to start in Mize, MS and begin renaming this Hwy going west with the new naming, but I don't know which one is preferred.

I skimmed over the post by scruffy151 (viewtopic.php?f=596&t=64208) on standards for state Hwy names. And according to posts in this thread it looks like we should be renaming to MS-28.

I wanted to make sure this was correct before I spent any time working on this.

Thanks,

Major Combs

PS- I'm new to this, I've been Waze-ing for a couple of months now. I live in Rankin County just west of Florence.
majorjc_MS

POSTER_ID:16948985

Send a message
Major Combs
[img]https:///9Lblq[/img]
Hinds, Rankin, Scott, Newton, Copiah, Simpson, Smith, and Jasper Counties.

Post by bart99gt
I've noticed that time to time that the city or county name has been appended to the highway names, probably put there by whomever the basemap was sourced from in that area.

As a rule, use the local name (you may have to look around on street view) as the primary when you can and if it is signed, then the highway # (US-xx, MS-xx, CR-xx) as the alternate. Mississippi DOT maps aren't that hot about listing the local names for many roads, for many counties it may have nothing but the county road number on the map.

Also, some highways may be called Hwy xx N(S/E/W) on a two lane stretch of road kind of like this:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 901&zoom=3

It should just be labeled as MS-583, dropping the local/county N/S/E/W geographical designation. In Waze, you should only retain the N/S/E/W direction on 4 lane divided highways. Some of the street signs around me have some state highways marked as such, but it seems to be somewhat haphazard and at least in DeSoto County appears to have been phased out with newer street signs.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by jasonh300
bart99gt wrote:I've noticed that time to time that the city or county name has been appended to the highway names, probably put there by whomever the basemap was sourced from in that area.

As a rule, use the local name (you may have to look around on street view) as the primary when you can and if it is signed, then the highway # (US-xx, MS-xx, CR-xx) as the alternate. Mississippi DOT maps aren't that hot about listing the local names for many roads, for many counties it may have nothing but the county road number on the map.

Also, some highways may be called Hwy xx N(S/E/W) on a two lane stretch of road kind of like this:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 901&zoom=3

It should just be labeled as MS-583, dropping the local/county N/S/E/W geographical designation. In Waze, you should only retain the N/S/E/W direction on 4 lane divided highways. Some of the street signs around me have some state highways marked as such, but it seems to be somewhat haphazard and at least in DeSoto County appears to have been phased out with newer street signs.
Mississippi has frequent local use of the names of the town along the route for highway names, and they're signed as such. They're often names that have faded into history, but still exist on the highways, and there may be a few elderly locals who remember those names. For example, Caesar-Necaise Hwy., Gainesville-Pearlington Rd., Napoleon-Westonia Rd., Kiln-DeLisle Rd. You'll have a hard time finding Caesar, Necaise, Gainesville, Napoleon, and Westonia on a map.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mlbrickner wrote:Just an FYI: I'm not an Area Manager and a majority of my editing area in Mississippi is around I-55, so there is only so much I can rename. I just do what I can in the hopes that it makes it easier for others. I hope it's helping. Please let me know if I'm not or if there is anything else I can do. :D
That's fine. Get whatever you can reach, and check out the tips in the sticky post I put in this forum for other things you can do for general "cleanup". Thanks for your efforts. Every little bit helps!
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

majorjc_MS
Send a message
Major Combs

Post by majorjc_MS
So where MS-28 goes through Simpson County do I list "Simpson Hwy 28" as an alternate name? And where it goes through the city limits of Magee do I list "Laurel Dr" as an alternate name?
majorjc_MS
Send a message
Major Combs

Post by majorjc_MS
Ok, I've fixed MS-28 from Mize to Hazlehurst and mlbrickner fixed it from Hazlehurst to halfway to Fayette.
majorjc_MS
Send a message
Major Combs

Post by mlbrickner
Just an FYI: I'm not an Area Manager and a majority of my editing area in Mississippi is around I-55, so there is only so much I can rename. I just do what I can in the hopes that it makes it easier for others. I hope it's helping. Please let me know if I'm not or if there is anything else I can do. :D
mlbrickner
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Yes "MS-28" is the current standard. The other names are outdated.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Laurel Dr should be the primary name with MS-28 as the alternate, in Magee.

"Simpson" belongs in the alternate field.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message