Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Editing/Cleanup tips

Post by jasonh300
This is not necessarily specific to Mississippi, but I wanted to make everyone aware of these things while doing cleanup and Functional Classification.

I strongly suggest that each Waze editor get the following Plugins (which work best in Chrome):
WME Color Highlights
WME Toolbox
WME Validator
Junction Node Fixer

These utilities will help you to identify problems, such as extra junctions, reverse connectivity and self-connectivity, Un-connected roads, closed loops, etc. Junction node fixer allows you to use the Q key to fix bad junctions without changing the turn permissions on that junction.

The state of Mississippi is riddled with segments that have the wrong state on them, especially near the borders. In WME Validator, under settings, you can set up custom searches. The following will highlight any road segment that is not set to Mississippi. Most of these roads are unnamed, but you may be surprised that roads you've created have the wrong state on them. Some of these roads don't exist, and should be deleted. Others do exist and need to have their state corrected.
Mississippi.jpg
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
During general cleanup, look for gas stations that have been imported, but never edited. They may or may not be in the right place. Either way, correct the location and stretch the Area Place to cover the entire property of the gas station. Don't drag the edges of the landmark all the way to the street. Imported stations have their name in ALL CAPS. Fix that to mixed case.
Gas1.jpg
(22.91 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
Gas2.jpg
(26.82 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
Gas3.jpg
(6.07 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Using Color Highlights, look for unnamed segments. In 99% of cases of unnamed segments, they should be set as a type other than Street, or removed from the map. If they're an apartment complex or trailer park, or run through a plant or factory behind gates, they should be set to Private Street. If they're a parking lot, they should be set to Parking Lot type. If they're a cowpath running through a field, they should probably be deleted, or at least set to Dirt Road. Alleys should be set to Parking Lot type. Remember that any road set as Street type is included in routing, so if you don't want people to be routed through a segment, change the type or get rid of it completely. In cases where they appear to be legitimate streets, dig a little deeper...use the streetview function and see if the street is there. If so, try to see a street sign and give that street a name.
Unnamed Street.jpg
(45.23 KiB) Downloaded 756 times
Apartment complex with Street type.
Unnamed street2.jpg
(38.6 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
Apartment complex fixed with Private Street type. (note that I have the Private Street set to show in purple in Color Highlights)
Unnamed Street 4.jpg
(98.01 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
In this case, the street appears to exist from the aerials, but when I opened up Streetview to try to find out the name, it turns out that it runs up someone's driveway and through their house. Delete.

That's it for now. I'll post more as I come across them. Have fun!
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:3598102

Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The problem comes in that editors who weren't well versed with the wiki didn't understand what the term "Service Road" meant and used them for alleys and such. These are the ones that need to be made ion parking lot roads.

Remember that a Service Road type will behave like something between a Street and a Primary Street and will be used for thru-routing. If that is not desirable, such as through a parking lot or through an apartment complex, then you use Parking Lot or Private Road.

Also, in Mississippi, I've noticed a lot of the little cut-thru segments on split roads (Uturn segments) were set to Service Road from the basemap. These should just be regular streets. It won't effect the routing but if waze one day mass converts these all to Primary Street (or something else, then it'll become very evident where these problem roads are and it may (or may not) have an adverse effect on routing.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Just a quick followup for this thread. The Service Road type has been completely removed from WME, and all existing Service Roads were converted to Streets.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by majorjc_MS
I love these plug-ins! For the past 3 hours I've been going back over areas that I have already worked and I am amazed at all the nodes that I missed and other errors that I did not pick up on.
majorjc_MS
Send a message
Major Combs
[img]https:///9Lblq[/img]
Hinds, Rankin, Scott, Newton, Copiah, Simpson, Smith, and Jasper Counties.

Post by mlbrickner
What about service roads? Should we delete or change the type of road?
mlbrickner
Send a message

Post by mlbrickner
I don't have any. I was rereading the Wiki and saw that we're no longer using them. I figured I would just turn them into parking lot roads, but I just wanted to make sure before I did so.
mlbrickner
Send a message

Post by sketch
mlbrickner wrote:What about service roads? Should we delete or change the type of road?
Good question. You should change the type, but the type you use depends on how the service road segment is used. Do you have a couple examples?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Got it. It depends on the usage. I've found the service road type used in various contexts: some for frontage roads, some for median U turn segments, some for service alleys. The first should be set along with functional class, or if Mississippi's maps aren't high-res enough to tell the difference, typically you'd use PS for freeway frontage roads and Street for surface streets with frontage roads. The second should usually be Street type (with exceptions). The last should be parking lot road or private road.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!