Regarding dirt roads and FC

Moderators: delilush, sketch, karlcr9911

Regarding dirt roads and FC

Postby bart99gt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 am

Everyone keep a close eye when you're doing FC in rural areas. Mississippi has quite a few dirt roads classified as collector roads, but in Waze, if you were to mark them as primary streets, it defeats the avoid unpaved road feature in the app.

They seem to be more prevalent in the Delta region, but I've found them all over the state.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Re: Regarding dirt roads and FC

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Last I heard we were supposed to mark them anyway and Waze would learn to avoid those routes if people refuse to use them. I brought up this issue when I came across Long Creek Road in Grenada County. It's a very well maintained dirt road that intersects another dirt road that's also a primary street on the FC maps in Tallhatchie County. Waze had no directionality for it, so it wasn't heavily traveled, although I remember using it myself from time to time and seeing houses and other drivers along it back when I lived in the area. The same could apply to the Delta. The roads may be dirt but in some cases they really are used regularly.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
[ img ]
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bart99gt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 pm

I'll have to find the discussion I participated in, but there was a general consensus to leave them marked as dirt just to maintain the unpaved road functionality.

I'm not doubting that some of these are well used/maintained, but it is just a matter of keeping the app working as it should.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:57 am

bart99gt is correct, dirt roads should be marked as dirt roads for exactly that reason, regardless of functional class. Exceptions are made in some west coast states where necessary, but it shouldn't be a problem in Mississippi. Users should be able to use the setting.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:00 am

sketch wrote:bart99gt is correct, dirt roads should be marked as dirt roads for exactly that reason, regardless of functional class. Exceptions are made in some west coast states where necessary, but it shouldn't be a problem in Mississippi. Users should be able to use the setting.

Thanks for the clarification. I've changed the roads in question in Grenada County back to dirt.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
[ img ]
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Return to Mississippi