Regarding dirt roads and FC

Post by bart99gt
Everyone keep a close eye when you're doing FC in rural areas. Mississippi has quite a few dirt roads classified as collector roads, but in Waze, if you were to mark them as primary streets, it defeats the avoid unpaved road feature in the app.

They seem to be more prevalent in the Delta region, but I've found them all over the state.
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
I'll have to find the discussion I participated in, but there was a general consensus to leave them marked as dirt just to maintain the unpaved road functionality.

I'm not doubting that some of these are well used/maintained, but it is just a matter of keeping the app working as it should.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by CrackedLCD
Last I heard we were supposed to mark them anyway and Waze would learn to avoid those routes if people refuse to use them. I brought up this issue when I came across Long Creek Road in Grenada County. It's a very well maintained dirt road that intersects another dirt road that's also a primary street on the FC maps in Tallhatchie County. Waze had no directionality for it, so it wasn't heavily traveled, although I remember using it myself from time to time and seeing houses and other drivers along it back when I lived in the area. The same could apply to the Delta. The roads may be dirt but in some cases they really are used regularly.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
sketch wrote:bart99gt is correct, dirt roads should be marked as dirt roads for exactly that reason, regardless of functional class. Exceptions are made in some west coast states where necessary, but it shouldn't be a problem in Mississippi. Users should be able to use the setting.
Thanks for the clarification. I've changed the roads in question in Grenada County back to dirt.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
bart99gt is correct, dirt roads should be marked as dirt roads for exactly that reason, regardless of functional class. Exceptions are made in some west coast states where necessary, but it shouldn't be a problem in Mississippi. Users should be able to use the setting.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!