UR Cleanup

Post by bart99gt
Guys,

I think we need to establish some kind of general guideline regarding on how long we keep URs open after we've asked people for more information. There's no official guidance on the subject, but we need to try to agree on a time period that gives users a sufficient time to reply vs. having the map cluttered up with a bunch of URs that are 6+ weeks old that we're never going to get any additional information about.

Personally, I tend to go about 10-14 days up in more urbanized areas like Memphis where a few dozen or more URs may pop up on a weekly basis and trying to sort through them all is a chore in an of itself, whereas I may be a little more forgiving on one in a rural area (if it just isn't because I haven't scanned that area lately!)

Most important is that if the user leaves some kind of comment in the UR to begin with, we should be keeping them open regardless of age and provided the information provided is useful in solving the UR. We've all gotten our share of confusing comments, and if a request for additional information goes unanswered, I just treat it like any other UR that had no comments at all.

Anyway, I'm open to any and all suggestions.
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
I always try to leave a note before closing something that another editor may have been working on.

If it is an old (several months) UR with unanswered questions I give it a once over to see if I can't figure out what the issue was, then I'll close it like any other old UR.

I think 7-10 days sounds like a good time frame. I think we should probably err on the side of 10 days in case someone makes the submission while they're on vacation, etc., and may not be able to respond promptly.

I'm just trying to get the state Wiki page updated and I'm going to add some general editing guidelines so there's a common point of reference for editors in the state.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by jasonh300
I hit the URs along the coast every Monday. Any URs from the previous week that remain and have no comment from the reporter get closes with a message "Due to lack of response, this report will be closed. Please report again if you have any additional problems."

I think 7 days is more than enough time since they should get an alert on their device when the first comment is made. Almost all of the responses I receive are within minutes or hours. It rarely goes beyond a day.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Once a comment has been made by an editor, the UR is theirs for that 7 day period. After that, a reminder is appropriate.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Somewhere in the main Wiki, there ARE guidelines for how to handle URs, and those should be followed first and foremost. Search that in the Wiki and model the local guidelines off of that, and there shouldn't be any problem.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mlbrickner wrote:I think 7 days is plenty of time, though admittedly I don't always get back to mine in that amount of time. I also don't like closing out URs that other editors have responded to already since they probably are like me and forgot which ones they tried to solve. (Or have the flu for three weeks. Yuck.)
If I see URs that are very old that someone else is working on, I'll usually add a reminder comment. Just a "." will send a message to their e-mail and get their attention.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by majorjc_MS
I think 7 days (or even 5) is plenty of time to wait for a response. I've been closing URs after 5 to 7 days in my AM area. I have not been adding a closing message before doing so, but I like that suggestion and will add it to my process.

I'm wondering about URs that other map editors have commented but never followed up on or closed. Should I comment and then give another 5 or so days before closing?
majorjc_MS
Send a message
Major Combs
[img]https:///9Lblq[/img]
Hinds, Rankin, Scott, Newton, Copiah, Simpson, Smith, and Jasper Counties.

Post by mlbrickner
I think 7 days is plenty of time, though admittedly I don't always get back to mine in that amount of time. I also don't like closing out URs that other editors have responded to already since they probably are like me and forgot which ones they tried to solve. (Or have the flu for three weeks. Yuck.)
mlbrickner
Send a message