I-69 in NW Mississippi

Post by bart99gt
I posted this to the unlock forum, but it hasn't been acted on, so since it is of significance, I'll try here too.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.20 ... 4,61866865

In western Desoto County, I-69 needs to be routed over the road currently marked as MS-713, to the intersection where the road marked as MS-304 currently is. To the west of that point, it is still MS-713 (until such time that they extend I-69 further to the west/southwest) until its intersection with US-61.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.21 ... 1,57634336

This highlighted section should be re-labeled as MS-304, which shares a concurrency with the entire length of I-69 until its intersection with I-55 to the east, where MS-304 terminates now.

I think I'm going to have to contact the county or MS DOT and find out what they are currently calling the stretch of MS-304 between the intersection with I-69/MS-713 and MS-301 because I can't find an updated map (everything on the MSDOT website is dated 2006-2007) that shows the current name, but all of the signs for MS-304 have been removed, except for the MS-304 Scenic Loop signs through Hernando and Lake Arkabutla.
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
OK,

I moved I-69 to the MS-713 segment up to the point where it ends about 3/4 mile SW of the interchange, which is roughly the county line between DeSoto and Tunica Counties. I still have MS-304 marked as a freeway up to US-61, though I feel it may be more appropriate to downgrade it to a major/minor highway just to cut down on any user confusion on which way the interstate is routed.

Mississippi GIS has labeled MS-304...Old MS-304, so that's what I've changed it to. There is still a segment east of MS-713 that is locked, so that will need to be changed. In your opinion, is it best to leave the Scenic Loop portion marked as a minor highway, or just a primary street? It is marked by a blue colored state highway sign instead of the traditional black and white ones.

On a side note, I also removed Lake Cormorant from the city on those roads in the area to get it off the map. Lake Cormorant is nothing more than a small crossroads (Star Landing Rd and Blythe Rd) about 1-2 miles NW with a Post Office and a few houses and isn't an incorporated town.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Let me ask this question then, does converting everything to MS-XXX put the road shields in place on the client? From what I've seen, it doesn't. Just from a user standpoint, it makes those roads stand out more when you're scanning the map on a device. Just my .02.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Gotcha. I'll start converting to the other format.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
jasonh300 wrote:I fixed that last segment of Old MS-304 and changed it to Primary Street. That's probably fine. The highways get priority routing on long distance trips.

Have you actually seen the Mississippi state highways in print with the "MS-###" naming? When it was discussed last year, the consensus was to use SR-## for the Mississippi state routes. As far as I know, there hasn't been any mass conversion of these roads, mainly because nobody's taken the time to do it.
Since I took the time to read the entire message again...(working on my screwed up schedule tends to do this to you).

Yes, the state of Mississippi actually does use MS-xxx on its GIS site and a little less formally on some of the DOT web pages. Though truthfully, there seems to be less consistency on the official government GIS site on how state highways are presented than are on Waze. Go figure.

I guess the critical point is how the client is going to interpret and label the road names, and if the SR-xxx is what will put the badges on the client, I guess that's what we need to use.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
scruffy151 wrote:SR-xx does not generate shields, it was just the least annoying standard at the time we were discussing it. That is part of why the changeover has been less than energetic, if a road is showing a badge it is often left alone unless something else needs to be done to the road.

Also at the time we were discussing it before I had never seen MS-xxx used anywhere. Since then it has started to appear on signs and on my new car's built in GPS system. So I could be convinced we should change to MS-xx now where before I would have only agreed if using the 2 letter state code became the national standard.
That sounds like what I'd been doing myself. Usually unless I saw a road named three different things in a mile (too often) or was doing something else with it, I usually tended to leave the naming alone if it was working.

So if our three person consensus is to use MS-xxx, I'll go that way.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by jasonh300
I'm not 100% sure that I"m following what you're saying here, so I unlocked those segments. I'll unlock, and you get it as right as you can and I'll do any necessary cleanup and re-lock when it's all fixed. Keep this thread going and delete your unlock request in the unlock forum and we'll get it straight.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Okay, I'll check it out and get back to you if I see any issues.

City removals have to be done from the back-end. I'll take care of that. It'll take a couple of weeks for them to process the request.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I fixed that last segment of Old MS-304 and changed it to Primary Street. That's probably fine. The highways get priority routing on long distance trips.

Have you actually seen the Mississippi state highways in print with the "MS-###" naming? When it was discussed last year, the consensus was to use SR-## for the Mississippi state routes. As far as I know, there hasn't been any mass conversion of these roads, mainly because nobody's taken the time to do it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
bart99gt wrote:Let me ask this question then, does converting everything to MS-XXX put the road shields in place on the client? From what I've seen, it doesn't. Just from a user standpoint, it makes those roads stand out more when you're scanning the map on a device. Just my .02.
No, however, eventually, the new standards will allow for road shields. Currently, only existing roads named "State Rte ##" will have a state route road shield. Converting *to* that format from other formats won't generate new road shields.

We decided on the US-## standard for US highways at the January 2012 Waze Conference, and it's only a few months ago that we finally got road shields with that format (and did a mass back-end conversion to that format).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message