Proposed standard for State Highway names

Moderators: delilush, sketch, karlcr9911

Proposed standard for State Highway names

Postby Scruffy151 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:05 am

It seems to be time to reconsider the standard naming convention for state highways in Mississippi.

The proposed new standard is "MS-xxx".

I have started to see this on signs and the old standard was more the least wrong than the right way to do it. So assuming there are no complaints in about a week we will be changing the standard.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Proposed standard for State Highway names

Postby Scruffy151 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:55 am

Since there have been no objections "MS-xx" is the new standard for Mississippi state highways.

I have updated the wiki with the new standard.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bart99gt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:46 am

As soon as they weed out the bugs in the editor, I'll get to it.

Now, this may be something that needs to be addressed by the higher ups, but since Mississippi has a relatively poor showing for area managers, is there any way the active AMs in the state could be granted temporary editing rights to wider parts of the state in order to effect this change?
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby Scruffy151 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Until we get working shields/badges I had just planned on continuing as I have been; updating the names while doing other things and hunting the ones that are just "Hwy xxx".
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:02 am

Have they been putting "MS-xx" on signs now?

I drive the I-59 corridor a lot, usually every few months, and I recall seeing "SR xx" on signs, typically the little green ones on overpasses.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Scruffy151 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Most of the signs are just the number in a oval. I haven't seen another "MS" sign since I made the earlier post and am starting to wonder if I was mistaken.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Yeah, it's hard to find a sign with it spelled out, since shields are used for almost every purpose out in the world. The little green signs on interstate overpasses—which tell you the road carried by the overpass and often what mile of the interstate you're on—don't use shields on the other hand, presumably because of the potential for confusion from people thinking it means they're ON state route whatever.

Different states do it differently, and that got me thinking about a potential source for state highway name standards. The ones in Mississippi use "SR", and in Alabama they say "AL". Interestingly, Mississippi uses a generic oval state route shield, while Alabama uses a shield shaped like Alabama.

DOT literature and the news and things like that can provide guidance, too, but they can sometimes mislead. I've heard "LA 48" and also "Highway xx" on the news here. I've actually seen "SR-xx" on the La. DOTD website! But the shields themselves say LA and that's how we say it, so of course that's what it's gonna be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bart99gt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 pm

What the roads are actually signed as seems to be highly variable throughout the state.

In DeSoto County, for instance, typically just says "Hwy 305" or "Hwy 302", with the shields only being present at intersections between other US or state highways. In other counties in the general vicinity I've seen them signed as "Hwy", "SR", "State Hwy", "State Rte", and I think on a couple of occasions have seen "Mississippi" spelled out on one of the larger overhead signs at a big intersection.

None of the overpasses on I-55 in my area have the road names on them, so even that is not consistent across the state.

As I brought it up before, the "MS-xxx" nomenclature came off of the Mississippi GIS site.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby sketch » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:16 am

It seems the general sentiment is that whatever it is, it should be an abbreviation rather than some words spelled out, and I agree with that. It saves space and time in the client and the editor, and IMO it looks better.

Whether to choose SR- or MS-, I don't know. I'm leaning towards SR- personally, based on what I know, but you're certainly more familiar with Mississippi in general (I'm pretty much an expert at I-59, but that's about it).

I do think that signage should be considered with far more weight than a departmental website, since drivers are going to see signs, not websites, while they're using Waze. What the bulk of signage actually says, though, is a factual inquiry.

Generally, if it's likely "Emm Ess" will cause confusion where "State Route" won't, I would suggest "SR-" as the standard.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Scruffy151 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:12 am

sketch wrote:I do think that signage should be considered with far more weight than a departmental website, since drivers are going to see signs, not websites, while they're using Waze. What the bulk of signage actually says, though, is a factual inquiry.

The problem with that is; of the signs that are not shields, "Hwy xx" or "Highway xx" is by far the most common. I personally think that naming convention has no place in a GPS app or map of any kind, it should be defined state, US, county, or interstate as appropriate.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Mississippi