Proposed standard for State Highway names

Moderators: delilush, sketch, karlcr9911

Re: Proposed standard for State Highway names

Postby sketch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:25 am

Eh, I wouldn't say so. I consider it an advantage Waze has, or can have, over other map providers in certain markets—especially places like Michigan, where "M-25" and the like are part of the local parlance, or Louisiana, where "LA 48" and "Highway 48" are used interchangeably, but "LA 48" is on the signs.

Where it's just "highway" or "route", leave it at "SR-". But there's a certain value in saying things in a way that's more agreeable to users in certain places.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bart99gt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Let me ask this then, is there any way to get it to pronounce "MS" as Mississippi and to have shields for roads named "MS-xx?"

Locally, state roads are just called "305" or "178" if there isn't a more commonly used local street name. I can't recall anyone ever having said "State 305" or "Mississippi 178" in general conversation. I would suppose if I were giving directions to someone unfamiliar with the area I would probably include one or the other, but there is no common colloquialism that I am aware of.

I think there is some added value in having the roads named "MS-xx" or whatever state the road is located in, so that to someone unfamiliar to the area would have a positive reinforcement as to what state's highway they are on.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby sketch » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 pm

bart99gt wrote:Let me ask this then, is there any way to get it to pronounce "MS" as Mississippi and to have shields for roads named "MS-xx?"

As to the first, effectively, no. At least not easily or anytime soon. Staff has been largely unresponsive on changing TTS behavior. I can't remember anything changing since the "pause for slashes" was added forever ago.

As to the second, yes. When I have a little free time, I'm planning to get a list together of state standards so I can submit a long list of shield formulas to Waze. Similar things have been done in Australia recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bart99gt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:05 am

Hmm...well, that muddies the waters a bit. On one hand, if getting the shields done is fairly easy, I'd just say leave it alone, but at the same time, not having the TTS for a driving app could be a bit distracting from a user point of view.

I'm not really dead set on any particular standard, just that there is one and it works well with the app.

I converted probably 95% of the roads in my area to the new standard, but things are cleaned up enough that it wouldn't be too much work to go and change it to something else.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby Scruffy151 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:38 am

Yeah muddy it is. That's why I wasn't adverse to changing. In my opinion "SR-xx" and "MS-xx" are the least bad solutions, neither is a good solution.

I guess the best thing would be if the TTS would expand "MS-xx" to "Highway-xx".
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Scruffy151 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Go with MS-xx in that area. That is where that format has the highest penetration allready.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bart99gt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:54 pm

doomedtx wrote:I can edit a sliver of western MS as part of my AR editing area. I've noticed "SR-1," "MS-1," and "State Hwy 1" along that road from Lula to Greenville. When correcting errors, I try to keep the road name the same as what the local editors put, but I think 3 names might be more confusing than a non-ideal name.

Do you know for sure which name definitely generates a shield in Waze? If so, I think that would be a good candidate for the name.

Anyway, if you settle on a standard, let me know and I'll change whatever I can see.

The area that hasn't been updated to MS-1 is probably just outside of my area. It appears that the MS-XX format is probably going to get submitted to generate shields at some point, so I guess we're sticking with that.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby bart99gt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:17 pm

It appears that Waze's TTS has been updated so that now MS-xx is pronounced "Mississippi xx" instead of "M S xx". I noticed it for the first time this morning checking a route around the house.

A step in the right direction.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby sketch » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:44 pm

bart99gt wrote:It appears that Waze's TTS has been updated so that now MS-xx is pronounced "Mississippi xx" instead of "M S xx". I noticed it for the first time this morning checking a route around the house.

A step in the right direction.

Does it include a pause between "Mississippi" and "xx"? The addition of state highway names to TTS was done a couple weeks ago, but a pause managed to sneak in there somehow.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bart99gt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53 pm

There may have been a very slight one. It wasn't enough to be disruptive from what I recall.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

PreviousNext

Return to Mississippi