Proposed standard for State Highway names

Moderators: delilush, sketch, karlcr9911

Re: Proposed standard for State Highway names

Postby Scruffy151 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:40 am

There is a pause but it is not bad.

I guess that means it is time to start changing names a bit more aggressively.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bart99gt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Yeah, I listened to it again and it was less than a second. So not bad overall, and really will probably help keep the state name from running together with whatever is after it.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby sketch » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Possibly. Regardless, we're trying to get the pause removed. It may be acceptable when, say, "turn[ing] left on Mississippi, 63", but it really messes up the flow of, say, an exit ramp ("Exit right at Exit 4. Louisiana. 3021. Elysian Fields Avenue.") The pauses imply that "Louisiana" and "3021" are different things, when really it's an exit for LA-3021.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I'm working on changing over some state roads in the Grenada/Carroll/Leflore county areas. Looks like many of them have been done already but there's a few locked pieces and isolated areas here and there that haven't been touched yet.

I don't get over this way much since I'm based in Baldwin County, Alabama, but I am the AM for those areas so I try to pop in occasionally and see how they're doing. I've been working on converting as many of the county roads to "CR-xx" format to mimic how it is in some other states (including Alabama) but with the sheer number of county roads in Carroll County alone, I don't think I'll ever be done. It doesn't help that there are just so darn many phantom roads, all with Arkansas as their state, it makes editing that much more difficult.

Anywho, I just got a new, modern computer to replace my decade-old outgoing model, and editing maps is so much more productive now! I can do a lot more than I could before, just in sheer speed of maps loading and being able to look up stuff. The downside is I can no longer access the GIS products for several MS counties; it apparently only works with older IE installs, and whatever came with Win 8 doesn't work. Ditto trying it in Firefox or Chrome. So I'll do what I can and try to be more active in those areas. Cheers!
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
[ img ]
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bart99gt » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:56 pm

The state GIS site supports all modern versions of Chrome. I have noticed that many of the county GIS sites are quite antiquated and even when I opened them in Internet Exploder they're still kind of clunky to use. Then the state DOT also provides road and functional class maps for the entire state, some of which have been updated in the past couple of months, so we actually have a pretty good highway information for Mississippi.

I too have been trying to update county roads to the CR-xx format when I edit them for driving direction/geometry/turns/etc., but as you mentioned, some counties have so many of them that it will probably be one of those things that will never get done. Mainly I try to make sure anything that is marked as a collector or arterial route gets renamed.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:58 am

@bart99gt What is the link to the Mississippi GIS site?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bart99gt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 pm

jasonh300 wrote:@bart99gt What is the link to the Mississippi GIS site?

http://www.gis.ms.gov/portal/home.aspx?
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM
bart99gt

Previous

Return to Mississippi