Arkansas Wiki Update Input Requested

Post by jlspence99
Hello fellow editors,

I am helping SteveinARK update the Arkansas Wiki page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Arkansas/Test#Resources. The old wiki is woefully out of date and Waze is transitioning to the new state wiki template so we are going to kill two birds with one stone. I know there are other editors out there and I'd like to update the Editors table in the wiki. Please provide your editor rank and the areas in the state where you edit. Thanks.
jlspence99
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:17008350

Send a message

Post by DAFsdad
Would you please help me with: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-88.89 ... 452&zoom=5 please? The new on-ramp to I-10 E from Lamey Bridge is now opened. Left and right turns on Lamey Bridge are permitted at the intersection of the ramp and Lamey Bridge.
DAFsdad
Send a message

Post by jlspence99
Hi DAFsdad,

Welcome to Waze map editing. Unfortunately, that is not within my editing area and it is in Mississippi. Post over in the Mississippi forum and I'm sure bart99gt (Mississippi State Manager) or one of the other editors will help you out. :)

viewforum.php?f=596
jlspence99
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by steveinark
We plan to get the AR Wiki section to reflect how the state is set up now, but in the new standardized format. This makes finding state variations easier, when you travel elsewhere, and want to edit/fix things in the new driving area. There are "signficant" local variations in other states. We want to highlight and move forward with adherence to the Functional Classifications (FC) criteria for the state's main roads.

OFF-TOPIC:

One area we hope to get input on and move forward with in the future is road naming conventions. Waze in many parts areas of the US to changing to the abbreviated state road designations. Such as AR-23, or even SR-XXX/SH-XXX in some states. It's probably a logical move for this state too, but we'd want some good discussions first. It would not be too large a project. And AR-XXX would pronounce as "Arkansas 23" in the mobile app (client).

However, along with that state highway question, is standardizing "county road" names. The county road names are "all over the board" ... pun intended. Even though most counties tend to be labeled one way or another within that county, every possible variation can be found in most.

Whereas, here in Carroll Co, we are basically set to "Co Rd XXX", just across the line, Madison is mostly "Madison XXX." Washington Co also has mainly "Co Rd", but some "WCR XX". Many states nationally are moving to "CR-XXX". The text to speech says it as "county road", and it's much shorter to type and display (easier to standardize to that). We need to start a dialog on this, and see what most think.

Any change-over in county road naming could be handled slowly. REASON: a significant portion of the rural roads around the state are still "untouched" anyway, with original 2009 Waze data. So the move to change them in an orderly manner would allow us editors to "fix" the many geometry and direction errors ... and delete the "cowpaths, power lines, and creek beds" that are mapped as roads. And we'd know they were touched, with the new naming in place.

A good summary of the road name discussion is this thread, here in the AR forum, by the regional coordinator (jasonh300).

viewtopic.php?f=598&t=44863
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)