Turn Left sounds like Turn Right!

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Turn Left sounds like Turn Right!

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:13 pm

okladriver wrote:They repeatedly heard "right" instead of "left". In this case I was much closer to the phone than they were and I could hear "left". Other times I've asked my passenger what they heard and they said "left" when I heard "right".

Good info. We're starting to get into psychoacoustics here :D
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby okladriver » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 pm

DwarfLord wrote:Good info. We're starting to get into psychoacoustics here :D

LOL! I had originally attributed it to the hearing loss I have in one ear but since others are hearing it to it means I'm not the problem!!!
okladriver

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:43 pm

OK, I can't help myself...

A man tells his doctor he's worried his wife is going deaf. The doctor suggests he say something to her at different distances but in the same tone of voice, and see how close he needs to be before she hears him.

So he goes home. His wife is in the kitchen and he decides to try the experiment. Standing in the living room where she can't see him, he says softly, "honey, what's for dinner tonight?" No response. He's concerned.

He goes to the kitchen. She's at the counter and her back is to him. "Honey, what's for dinner tonight?" Still no response. She's in worse shape than he thought!

Now, right up behind her. "Honey, what's for dinner tonight?"

"For the third time, CHICKEN!"
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby lwerman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:24 am

OK, I fully, absolutely agree but how do I fix it?
Is it being implied here that I can swap out an audio file to fix this terrible sounding "Left"?
On my S4, it sounds like "eT", no enunciation of the "LEF" part, making it sound too much like "right".
I use the sound navigation in unfamiliar areas but I get forced to look at the App to verify the direction I need to turn, sometimes having to pan the map to see, and then restarting live tracking. A real PIA!
lwerman

Postby CranMalReign » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:39 pm

I actually saw a UR a while back complaining about the Waze App voice prompt directing right but the route showing a left turn. The UR was closed since it was figured the reporter misheard. UR seems to be completely gone now or I'd link to it.

Very interesting.
CranMalReign
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Postby Machete808 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 pm

OK, I thought I've heard this myself but wrote it off to distraction or stuffy ears. But I've been encountering this a bit lately. Here's one, ironically posted from Kauai, Hawaii, but referring to an experience in California:

The reporter on 09.01.2014 07:30 AM:

Sent the message from Kauai but it actually happened in San Mateo driving south on El Camino to Baldwin. Said turn right but arrow pointed left which was the correct direction

See this issue in the Waze map editor https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 78&env=usa

--------
And another one, during my temporary editing stint in LA:

-------

The reporter on 08.23.2014 10:23 PM:

It told me to turn right on glencoe when it should have told be to turn left.

See this issue in the Waze map editor https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 91&env=usa

-------
This last one I completely misconstrued as a misplaced marker. But after a discussion with tonestertm, it now seems like one of these vocal prompt bugs.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby benzijn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 am

Hi- I get the same thing. Right always sounds like right, but left sounds like right half the time. Is there an update to correct this? I have a 3G phone and wondering if the turns are correct with 4G. THis is very annoying. I've looked for another voice file but cannot find one. I'll just mute the phone and put it on my dash.
benzijn

Postby coontex » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 am

I think this is happening on most or all phones. It happens to me on the 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby pherman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Agreed, still happening on my iPhone 4S running IOS8.
pherman

Postby midlifeflyer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Funny. I came across this on a trip this past weekend. Like others, at first, figured it was me but when it happened again and again and again it was poor annunciation - if it didn't distinctly sound like "right" it must be left. I came across this thread while trying to see what some of the other voices sounded like. I searched what do waze voices sound like in Google (since I didn't see a voice preview mode in the app) and this thread was the first hit.

Based on other comments, I can add that I can confirm that it is a Waze issue. I've seen a few posts by iPhone users. I use an Android - Samsung S4. So it is them, not us. And, no it's not Waze "changing its mind" on which way to go. At the first indication of direction I glance at the screen. Voice says "right" (actually, like lwerman I think it says "et" or "it" or at best "lit" and the visual indicator shows a left turn.

Do the Waze developers come here? Surprised I don't see anything from them about this.
midlifeflyer

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing