Drive Safe

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Drive Safe

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

bgodette wrote:And while we're at it, how about "take a (turn direction) at (name)" vs "turn (direction) at (name)"?

I agree with this. I would much rather hear Waze say "turn" rather than "take a." I would also like to hear it say, "Turn <direction> at the next intersection on to <street name>" Sometimes, due to closely spaced roads, the driver is unsure whether it is the next one or the one after. If Waze could time it out well, this would be very helpful and safe ... safer ... safely.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm bringing this OLD thread back from the dead because the next version of Waze now says, "Drive safely."
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:52 am

And while we're at it, how about "take a (turn direction) at (name)" vs "turn (direction) at (name)"?
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:55 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:And while we're at it, how about "take a (turn direction) at (name)" vs "turn (direction) at (name)"?

I agree with this. I would much rather hear Waze say "turn" rather than "take a." I would also like to hear it say, "Turn <direction> at the next intersection on to <street name>" Sometimes, due to closely spaced roads, the driver is unsure whether it is the next one or the one after. If Waze could time it out well, this would be very helpful and safe ... safer ... safely.

I reread my original post on this, and to be clear I did mean what you gathered. I'd rather have it say "turn (direction) at (name)".

The other phrase that bothers me, and I don't think there's really anything wrong with it other then taking longer, is "in (distance), get ready to turn (direction)". Personally I'd like to hear that as "Get ready to turn (direction) in (distance)". At least the TTS says "in a quarter mile..." instead of "in a quarter of a mile...".

/me picking at English phraseology that's likely different depending on what country/region you're in. :lol:
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:07 pm

stiab3 wrote:
Olmanrivah wrote:
stiab3 wrote:Can we get the English navigation voice to speak proper English? It should be drive SAFELY.

How about drive safely 'yall!. :geek:

Well. . . given that there's only one driver (and in most cases, no passengers), then y'all is unnecessary.
The plural of y'all is "all y'all", so y'all would be appropriate for addressing the driver. :D
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:52 pm

RickW-NC wrote:The joke on TV is the gps says "turn right" and the driver slams into a building, then the gps says "in 50 feet". I like it the way it is, the first part tells me how closely I should listen and the last thing tells me the direction and since most people only remember the last thing they hear, that is what will stick in your mind and it is clearly the most important part. I am glad they did not get cute and say "Hang a Louie" for take a left or "take a Roscoe" for turn right. That WAS fun in high-school though. Waze on!
Maybe with all the landmarks IGN is adding they're going to enable Southern routing... "Turn left at the Piggly Wiggly then go about a 1/2 mile and turn right at the Dunkin' Donuts"
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed May 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Here's another convincing me that "safe" was fine.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby gettingthere » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 pm

stiab3 wrote:Yours actually says street names?!
:shock:

New feature in Waze 2.4. Initially only available in the US & Canada.

BTW, it works well. Really puts Waze on par with standalone GPS devices and other more established players such as TomTom, Garmin, Navigon, etc.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:05 am

stiab3 wrote:Can we get the English navigation voice to speak proper English? It should be drive SAFELY.

Forgive me for splitting hairs, but if Waze wanted to justify it, they might make the case that "safe" modifies the implied imperative subject ("You"), rather than the verb ("drive")--in which case the instruction does not say how you should drive, but what kind of driver you should be; i.e., be safe while driving. (There is a similar distinction between "Act happy" and "Act happily". The former means you should pretend that you are happy; the latter means you should be happy that you are pretending.)

Since the clearest meaning of "drive safe" is to tell someone how to drive, it really should use the adverb form "safely". But if Waze needs me to represent them in Grammar Court, I'm available for a modest fee. :-)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Drive Safe

Postby kieranrawley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Is it a secure storage area for a car alongside a house perhaps?

It's a bit better/worse (delete as required) again today
Kieran

(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

kieranrawley
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing