Drive Safe

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Drive Safe

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:07 am

That's probably because our TTS here has said safely since I changed the translation. Must've been pushed over to yours by Waze at some point.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby CBenson » Wed May 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Here's another convincing me that "safe" was fine.
CBenson

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm bringing this OLD thread back from the dead because the next version of Waze now says, "Drive safely."
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:00 am

RickW-NC wrote:Every few miles it said welcome to some city!!! Waze on.

A friend of mine who still lives in NJ has a 5 mile commute to work and they end up driving through 8 (eight!) towns in those 5 miles.

And people wonder why NJ has such high property taxes -- it is because of so much duplication of effort in running all these municipalities.
WeeeZer14

Postby RickW-NC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:29 am

The local instructions here are "Turn left where the old school was" or "turn right where the big oak tree used to be before it got hit by lightning". I also noticed if you asked a native where a street was by route number you would get a blank stare. If you asked for the same street by the name, they would tell you nine ways to get there. When I lived in FL everything had numbers and you could only go in the main 4 directions. Getting lost was not an option as you had swamp on one side and ocean on the other. Every few miles it said welcome to some city!!! Waze on.
RickW-NC

Postby floppyrod84 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 pm

WaWa? Wow-wow... what a name for a shop! And I thought the name Aldi was the pinnacle of excellence :P
I too look forward to doubling over in laughter at the names of the roads the TTS engine tries to pronounce. Places like Loughborough, Southwark (in London), and most of Northern Ireland are definitely going to provide some giggles :)
floppyrod84

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:06 pm

bgodette wrote:Maybe with all the landmarks IGN is adding they're going to enable Southern routing... "Turn left at the Piggly Wiggly then go about a 1/2 mile and turn right at the Dunkin' Donuts"

I live in the South now, but I had previously lived in NJ where this was done all the time. Near where I lived it usually ended up being " turn right at the WaWa* then in 3 miles turn left at the next WaWa, then pass two more WaWas and turn right after the third WaWa" :D

Of course I was born in New York City and I used to think NJ was the south :lol:

*WaWa is a convenience store and gas station chain based out of PA that has TONS of locations in central Jersey**.

** Central Jersey is the DMZ between North Jersey and South Jersey. Yes they are different. No you wouldn't confuse them if you've been there.
WeeeZer14

Postby bgodette » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:52 pm

RickW-NC wrote:The joke on TV is the gps says "turn right" and the driver slams into a building, then the gps says "in 50 feet". I like it the way it is, the first part tells me how closely I should listen and the last thing tells me the direction and since most people only remember the last thing they hear, that is what will stick in your mind and it is clearly the most important part. I am glad they did not get cute and say "Hang a Louie" for take a left or "take a Roscoe" for turn right. That WAS fun in high-school though. Waze on!
Maybe with all the landmarks IGN is adding they're going to enable Southern routing... "Turn left at the Piggly Wiggly then go about a 1/2 mile and turn right at the Dunkin' Donuts"
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RickW-NC » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 am

The joke on TV is the gps says "turn right" and the driver slams into a building, then the gps says "in 50 feet". I like it the way it is, the first part tells me how closely I should listen and the last thing tells me the direction and since most people only remember the last thing they hear, that is what will stick in your mind and it is clearly the most important part. I am glad they did not get cute and say "Hang a Louie" for take a left or "take a Roscoe" for turn right. That WAS fun in high-school though. Waze on!
RickW-NC

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 pm

bgodette wrote:The other phrase that bothers me, and I don't think there's really anything wrong with it other then taking longer, is "in (distance), get ready to turn (direction)". Personally I'd like to hear that as "Get ready to turn (direction) in (distance)".

The one benefit I thought of for the current situation is that the direction is spoken last, thus giving the driver time to notice that Waze is saying something and "tune in" or tell their passengers to "shhhh!" :D
WeeeZer14

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing