Drive Safe

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Drive Safe

Postby Olmanrivah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:05 pm

stiab3 wrote:Can we get the English navigation voice to speak proper English? It should be drive SAFELY.

How about drive safely 'yall!. :geek:
Country Boys Can Survive!
Graduating from the WAZE School of hard Knocks
Area Manager King William, Va.
Olmanrivah

Postby RickW-NC » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 am

The joke on TV is the gps says "turn right" and the driver slams into a building, then the gps says "in 50 feet". I like it the way it is, the first part tells me how closely I should listen and the last thing tells me the direction and since most people only remember the last thing they hear, that is what will stick in your mind and it is clearly the most important part. I am glad they did not get cute and say "Hang a Louie" for take a left or "take a Roscoe" for turn right. That WAS fun in high-school though. Waze on!
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Postby RickW-NC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:29 am

The local instructions here are "Turn left where the old school was" or "turn right where the big oak tree used to be before it got hit by lightning". I also noticed if you asked a native where a street was by route number you would get a blank stare. If you asked for the same street by the name, they would tell you nine ways to get there. When I lived in FL everything had numbers and you could only go in the main 4 directions. Getting lost was not an option as you had swamp on one side and ocean on the other. Every few miles it said welcome to some city!!! Waze on.
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Drive Safe

Postby stiab3 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Can we get the English navigation voice to speak proper English? It should be drive SAFELY.
. . . still a long waze to go.
Area Manager - South Lakeland
stiab3

Postby stiab3 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:11 pm

harling wrote:
stiab3 wrote:Can we get the English navigation voice to speak proper English? It should be drive SAFELY.

Forgive me for splitting hairs, but if Waze wanted to justify it, they might make the case that "safe" modifies the implied imperative subject ("You"), rather than the verb ("drive")--in which case the instruction does not say how you should drive, but what kind of driver you should be; i.e., be safe while driving. (There is a similar distinction between "Act happy" and "Act happily". The former means you should pretend that you are happy; the latter means you should be happy that you are pretending.)

Since the clearest meaning of "drive safe" is to tell someone how to drive, it really should use the adverb form "safely". But if Waze needs me to represent them in Grammar Court, I'm available for a modest fee. :-)

I was just going to name my car "Safe" and drive it.
stiab3

Postby stiab3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Yours actually says street names?!
:shock:
stiab3

Postby stiab3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:58 pm

I can't wait for it to get here. I expect comedy at some of the name pronounciations. . .

probably not a good thing when I'm driving. . .
stiab3

Postby stiab3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Olmanrivah wrote:

How about drive safely 'yall!. :geek:

Well. . . given that there's only one driver (and in most cases, no passengers), then y'all is unnecessary.
stiab3

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 pm

bgodette wrote:The other phrase that bothers me, and I don't think there's really anything wrong with it other then taking longer, is "in (distance), get ready to turn (direction)". Personally I'd like to hear that as "Get ready to turn (direction) in (distance)".

The one benefit I thought of for the current situation is that the direction is spoken last, thus giving the driver time to notice that Waze is saying something and "tune in" or tell their passengers to "shhhh!" :D
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:06 pm

bgodette wrote:Maybe with all the landmarks IGN is adding they're going to enable Southern routing... "Turn left at the Piggly Wiggly then go about a 1/2 mile and turn right at the Dunkin' Donuts"

I live in the South now, but I had previously lived in NJ where this was done all the time. Near where I lived it usually ended up being " turn right at the WaWa* then in 3 miles turn left at the next WaWa, then pass two more WaWas and turn right after the third WaWa" :D

Of course I was born in New York City and I used to think NJ was the south :lol:

*WaWa is a convenience store and gas station chain based out of PA that has TONS of locations in central Jersey**.

** Central Jersey is the DMZ between North Jersey and South Jersey. Yes they are different. No you wouldn't confuse them if you've been there.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing