Automatic re-routing?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Automatic re-routing?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I cannot speak to the threshold at which Waze will reroute you, but I have seen it pop up for me. It is rare, however. It is possible with the current infrastructure strain that this feature is affected somehow. I do agree that I too will check alt routes manually and find that another known route is a few minutes faster.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.4
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Waze reroutes me quite frequently on my morning commute (almost never on the evening commute). It usually tells me that it has saved something around 5 min when it reroutes if my memory serves. Waze has been rerouting me more often since being featured on the app store and over some routes it hasn't used before. I don't typically select an altenate route, so I'm not sure if waze will reroute if you select the route.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Automatic re-routing?

Postby ChadMC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I like to frequently check out the alternate routes on my drive to check the various ETAs, so I usually start my drive by checking alternate routes and then usually just picking the fastest one. I know that if I just click "Go", it will probably pick the fastest one for me though.

However, I have yet to have Waze automatically change my routes once I start. This morning, I saw traffic was building on the interstate where I usually get on, so I took a look at the alternate routes. As I expected, the alternate route was a few minutes faster, so I chose that one instead. My question is, why didn't Waze automatically change my route? Is there a certain threshold? Maybe it won't automatically re-route if it only saved me 3 minutes or so?

My other question is, if I go to the alternate routes screen and choose a route myself, am I then "locked" into that specific route now, regardless of traffic? Or will it still attempt to route me around traffic if needed?

Thanks,
Chad
ChadMC

Postby ChadMC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:56 pm

That's probably true on the >= 5min savings.

I still wonder about the auto-reroute in the case of choosing your own route. Because what happens if you decide to choose a route that is 10min slower because you just want to drive that way for some reason (maybe it's a more scenic drive). I doubt Waze will automatically route you back to the faster route if you specifically chose the slower route. But if traffic conditions change on your current route, maybe it will override at that point.

I'm a developer, so maybe I'm trying too hard to understand the inner workings of it all :roll: I'll try just pressing "Go" for awhile and see if I notice a difference.
ChadMC

Postby gettingthere » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:21 pm

I have also noticed Waze re-routing me automatically. The lowest amount I have noticed that it has saved me was 5 minutes, I believe. So maybe 5 minutes is the amount of time savings that will trigger an automatic re-route.

This seems reasonable to me. ETA is never 100% accurate anyway. Also, Waze should not be rerouting constantly to save a couple of minutes. That would be annoying to have to constantly adjust your route, may not be notified in time to change multiple lanes on the highway, etc.

Also, I do believe that if you choose another route from the route screen that Waze is always still checking for better routes and will automatically re-route you if another route turns out to be >= 5 minutes faster.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3, Waze 3.9
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Waze is designed for you to set a route and let Waze take you the fastest way. So if you don't want the fastest way and want to manually choose your route you can just override the directions that Waze is giving you by driving another way or use another GPS tool that lets you have more control over the routes. Choosing another route via the options presented may or may not accomplish what you are expecting.

Of course there is also a 'shortest' setting in the menu options which has been reported to not work properly. I really don't understand why that setting is even there since this does not seem to match with what Waze is providing.

And there is also this concept that Waze 'learns' your routes. I can't read the minds of what Waze is trying to accomplish with this idea. But my thinking is that it will learn routes that may be faster than what Waze already knows. Others have posted that it has learned other routes that are very custom and not necessarily the fastest. I have not seen that in my use since I am generally relying on Waze to get me to my destination the fastest way.

"Outsmarting Traffic, Together." is the current slogan per Waze 3.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:30 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:If you pick an alternate route and Waze recalculates (because it gets confused or you detour from your alternate), Waze will give you what it sees as the fastest route at that time with no care about what alternative you originally picked. At least this is my experience on numerous occasions.

I have the same experience. Route calculation works the same in setting the initial route or any automated rerouting - it goes for the fastest route if that option is selected.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 pm

If you pick an alternate route and Waze recalculates (because it gets confused or you detour from your alternate), Waze will give you what it sees as the fastest route at that time with no care about what alternative you originally picked. At least this is my experience on numerous occasions.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing