Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning?

Postby a76marine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I have one of these as well:

Corner of Grand Ave and Belle Plaine Rd, Waukegan, IL
going to
26125 N. Riverwoods Blvd, Mettawa, IL

Waze always tries to take me to the toll road. I feel that's longer, plus you have to pay the toll. When I click alternate routes there are NO OTHER ROUTES shown. Surely Waze should offer a toll-option and a toll-free-option, right?

When I go into settings and click to avoid the toll roads then Waze constantly tries to take me down US41 to US60(W Kennedy Rd/W Townline Rd). This is the most direct route, however there are several traffic lights and heavy traffic volumes on US41 so I choose to ignore that.

Instead I get on US41 only until IL43 (Waukegan Rd) and I take that all the way down to IL176 (Rockland Rd). I turn right onto Rockland and left onto N Bradley which brings me the back way into work.

I understand that this may not appear to be the best route due to not being "main roads", however it's quite a bit quicker and it would be great if Waze would realize that I take this route every morning.
a76marine

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 pm

I've also recently reported that my preferred route doesn't come up and/or isn't marked in the 3.0 client, which is supposed to use a heart icon to denote what Waze believes is your favorite. This functionality may be missing/turned off with the recent reduction of services as they work on bolstering infrastructure and code efficiency.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:49 am

My experience is that the 3.0 iphone betas did show the heart-preferred route in the client when viewing alternates, but that it hasn't done it for some time now.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 pm

CBenson wrote:Didn't waze try to provide the preferred route in the alternate list (weren't there little heart icons) for a period of time. The marketing materials have never recovered from the failure to fully implement the feature.

Yes. In fact, the heart icon and explanation is still on the routes list. But, that route isn't marked any more. Hasn't for a long time. Supposedly, some day, it will return.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 am

The "learning" question has been added to the FAQ. The answer likely doesn't contain anything you don't already know regarding the selected Waze route vs your preferred route.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 pm

jonycp wrote:So if I demonstrate to Waze that my route (my drive) is faster by driving its slower alternate route a few times, it should pick this up and offer my drive as a possible route?

In simplest terms, yes. As Andy already noted, the preferred route must be checked to ensure no missing segments, incorrect road directionality, restricted turns, etc. All manner of possible problems could exist.

And I have personally watched Waze figure out the best way to go after I've driven the recommended route. And it wasn't just one recommended route: after I took one route a few times, it tried another route, not the ideal route, so I took that one, both directions, a few times. It took about a month of various different routes to get the ideal one working.

Now, to this day, there is still a route I prefer to take which is slower than the fastest route. I know it is, but it doesn't go over a mountain which is often slippery with ice or snow and unexpected accidents. So, every morning, I do still need to select my preferred route from the alternate routes list.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 am

biffhero wrote:In my view, I feel that the Waze team doesn't view "learning" in a broad enough sense. If you have hit an alternate route n times in a row, then Waze should start presenting that route over the route that their servers return.

This functionality used to exist, but had to be disabled for some reason I forget. If you notice in the app, when you bring up alt routes, there's a note about a favorite route with a heart icon. The plan is to be able to re-implement this some day, ETA unknown.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Learning?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Depending on the route length, yes, Waze will prefer to use highways and freeways.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Learning?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:43 pm

It is routing using the fastest route it knows about. As the FAQ says, it's all about the math. (Though there is also preference given to road types base on total route length. Not sure if that comes into play with your commute.)

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

dirgela wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now, to this day, there is still a route I prefer to take which is slower than the fastest route. I know it is, but it doesn't go over a mountain which is often slippery with ice or snow and unexpected accidents. So, every morning, I do still need to select my preferred route from the alternate routes list.

In this case you actually don't need routing at all.

Yes and no. I know where I'm going, but I don't know road conditions ahead on my route.

Waze cannot alert you to changing traffic conditions like an accident which is causing a roadway to slow to 0mph or so if you aren't navigating. It has no chance to preemptively reroute you if not in nav mode. About once a week, I get the "found a faster route" message. And sometimes "traffic building up ahead" which lets me know the ETA has adjusted later, but the route should still be the fastest one.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing