Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Learning?

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:02 pm

It can't be live. No map updates have gone live since december 11. This problem didn't start until the 26th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Learning?

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I retract my earlier statement. The client maps have indeed been updated.

I'm not seeing any problems with it. I'm seeing a change I made on 12/18, although that's one of the few areas that is still out of sync in the editors.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 pm

cristianfraser wrote:
yrrabsille wrote:Again, I tend to think that Waze puts too much priority on Highways

Agreed, Waze always tries to route me through a Highway that's twice as long as my usual route and only one minute faster (according to Waze calculations)... And even though I always drive through my preferred route, it never learns.

And I don't want to use the "Avoid Highways" options, because I use it for going elsewhere D:

If that's the case, it's behaving the way it's supposed to. You could always turn on "Shortest route" vs. "Fastest route".
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:39 pm

jonycp wrote:Andy and Alan,

In fact, the road I travel every day is free of errors, etc on the map. The problem here is that the alternative route takes 15 minutes more time in the morning, and I don't really have time to drive it, unless I get out earlier - a challenge with my family.

In principle, I find this a weakness of the application. It is tracking my drive every time I have it on, the road I am on is visible in the waze map, and it is demonstrably error free. The application should, based on my history alone, determine that this is a viable alternate route.

Thank you for confirming the current mechanism of route learning. If my route does not show up after I inconvenience myself for a week or so, I will be removing the app.

The only assumption we can make is that there is not heavy Waze usage in your area yet. When we recommend that people drive the slower route so Waze routing servers can learn, that is assuming that there isn't anyone else on the road using Waze driving that route. When there is heavy Waze usage in an area, Waze will get that data from other drivers and learn that it's slower without you having to drive it.

What city are you in?
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 pm

CBenson wrote:When you ask for alternate routes, the app still includes the text next to the heart: "Your preferred route Tip: Teach Waze your preferred routes by simply driving them several times."

I've never seen the heart come up in the alternate routes screen. I thought this was something that no longer worked.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm

jonycp wrote:I am in Hanover, PA, and I drive to York, PA. I agree there are probably not many other Wazers in the area at this time. I don't see any other driver icons on the route I take either way.

That's how it was here when I first started using Waze. There's been a significant increase in the number of users over the past year. I never have to do any "training" to manipulate routes anymore.

Try saving a "via" point on the map about half-way on your preferred route and then use that as a stop. See if it routes properly, or if it does something crazy.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jokizwo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:11 pm

If waze says one route lasts 48-53 minutes, this is an average of all people. Could be that you personally would be much faster. But waze uses the average. In most cases fast drivers beat the ETA.

What is the real difference in time? Try driving both routes and have a look at your watch. 10 minutes is a huge difference for a route of about 50 minutes. Try that multiple times to have an average. Only one time 10 minutes faster does not count ;)

What if you take your route. Is there a point within the route when waze switches to "your" preferred route? How does ETA change during that switch?

Maybe the map does not support your way? missing turns or anything.

I wonder what Google Maps says to both routes. You know in Gmaps you can configure individual routes by just dragging them...

You know, there can be numerous reasons for the situation :/ On one hand it could be that waze still don't know your way is faster. On the other hand it could be waze still don't know the other way is slower.
waze pioneer
jokizwo

Postby jonycp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I have a route I drive every day that is not offered as an alternative. I suppose if i was traveling one of the offered routes, waze would learn my preference. As it is now, though, I hear the prompts to select one or the other route the whole way until there is no alternative but to stay on my route (very near my destination).

Isn't there some way we can CREATE our own route??? The roads I travel on are unblemished on the wave maps!

Please someone else echo this request!

Alternatively, how are routes selected/calculated now (from a given start point). Is there some way to influence the calculation?

- Hopeful in Hanover
jonycp

Postby jonycp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Perhaps this is answering my question:
" Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions.
The reason just driving the expected or preferred route won't work automatically is because Waze could have incorrect speed data on the segments it wants you to take. If Waze thinks another road is 2x as fast as your preferred road, no amount of driving on your preferred road can change the data for the other road. Waze needs accurate data for all neighboring segments and routes in order to always compute the fastest (or shortest, depending on your app setting) route."

So if I demonstrate to Waze that my route (my drive) is faster by driving its slower alternate route a few times, it should pick this up and offer my drive as a possible route?
jonycp

Postby jonycp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Andy and Alan,

In fact, the road I travel every day is free of errors, etc on the map. The problem here is that the alternative route takes 15 minutes more time in the morning, and I don't really have time to drive it, unless I get out earlier - a challenge with my family.

In principle, I find this a weakness of the application. It is tracking my drive every time I have it on, the road I am on is visible in the waze map, and it is demonstrably error free. The application should, based on my history alone, determine that this is a viable alternate route.

Thank you for confirming the current mechanism of route learning. If my route does not show up after I inconvenience myself for a week or so, I will be removing the app.
jonycp

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing