Learning?

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm

The odd thing is that this is the way it now takes me to work, but it won't reverse it
yrrabsille

Re: Learning?

Postby bgodette » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:42 pm

yrrabsille wrote:Jesse Doe Rd. Rollinsford, NH
TO
School St. Sanbornville, NH

Preferred route:
left on Church St.
L on Main
L on High
L onto Rte 236
Follow into Berwick, ME and once I cross Rte. 9 it finally catches on to "my" way (because of various one ways and turn restrictions, I wiggle through town, which waze gets right, and come out the other side going NW on Rochester Rd.)
From there it does well
Excellent. This helps a lot.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby a76marine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I have one of these as well:

Corner of Grand Ave and Belle Plaine Rd, Waukegan, IL
going to
26125 N. Riverwoods Blvd, Mettawa, IL

Waze always tries to take me to the toll road. I feel that's longer, plus you have to pay the toll. When I click alternate routes there are NO OTHER ROUTES shown. Surely Waze should offer a toll-option and a toll-free-option, right?

When I go into settings and click to avoid the toll roads then Waze constantly tries to take me down US41 to US60(W Kennedy Rd/W Townline Rd). This is the most direct route, however there are several traffic lights and heavy traffic volumes on US41 so I choose to ignore that.

Instead I get on US41 only until IL43 (Waukegan Rd) and I take that all the way down to IL176 (Rockland Rd). I turn right onto Rockland and left onto N Bradley which brings me the back way into work.

I understand that this may not appear to be the best route due to not being "main roads", however it's quite a bit quicker and it would be great if Waze would realize that I take this route every morning.
a76marine

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Again, I tend to think that Waze puts too much priority on Highways
yrrabsille

Postby cristianfraser » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 pm

yrrabsille wrote:Again, I tend to think that Waze puts too much priority on Highways

Agreed, Waze always tries to route me through a Highway that's twice as long as my usual route and only one minute faster (according to Waze calculations)... And even though I always drive through my preferred route, it never learns.

And I don't want to use the "Avoid Highways" options, because I use it for going elsewhere D:
cristianfraser

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 pm

cristianfraser wrote:
yrrabsille wrote:Again, I tend to think that Waze puts too much priority on Highways

Agreed, Waze always tries to route me through a Highway that's twice as long as my usual route and only one minute faster (according to Waze calculations)... And even though I always drive through my preferred route, it never learns.

And I don't want to use the "Avoid Highways" options, because I use it for going elsewhere D:

If that's the case, it's behaving the way it's supposed to. You could always turn on "Shortest route" vs. "Fastest route".
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 am

cristianfraser wrote:Agreed, Waze always tries to route me through a Highway that's twice as long as my usual route and only one minute faster (according to Waze calculations)... And even though I always drive through my preferred route, it never learns.

Does it give your preferred route as an alternate?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:32 pm

cristianfraser wrote:Agreed, Waze always tries to route me through a Highway that's twice as long as my usual route and only one minute faster (according to Waze calculations)... And even though I always drive through my preferred route, it never learns.
Waze doesn't learn routes in the sense people think.

It learns frequent destinations, what turns are allowed, the time it takes to make those turns, and average speeds for a particular timeslot. If your personal preferred route is NOT the fastest, it won't be used, if it's not 2nd or 3rd fastest you won't even see it in the alternate route list. Even then, it's all dependent on the map being correct, which is nearly always the case for people getting poor results.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 pm

bgodette wrote:Waze doesn't learn routes in the sense people think.

It learns frequent destinations, what turns are allowed, the time it takes to make those turns, and average speeds for a particular timeslot. If your personal preferred route is NOT the fastest, it won't be used, if it's not 2nd or 3rd fastest you won't even see it in the alternate route list. Even then, it's all dependent on the map being correct, which is nearly always the case for people getting poor results.

Didn't waze try to provide the preferred route in the alternate list (weren't there little heart icons) for a period of time. The marketing materials have never recovered from the failure to fully implement the feature.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 pm

CBenson wrote:Didn't waze try to provide the preferred route in the alternate list (weren't there little heart icons) for a period of time. The marketing materials have never recovered from the failure to fully implement the feature.

Yes. In fact, the heart icon and explanation is still on the routes list. But, that route isn't marked any more. Hasn't for a long time. Supposedly, some day, it will return.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing