Learning?

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Learning?

Postby biffhero » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:12 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now, to this day, there is still a route I prefer to take which is slower than the fastest route. I know it is, but it doesn't go over a mountain which is often slippery with ice or snow and unexpected accidents. So, every morning, I do still need to select my preferred route from the alternate routes list.

In my view, I feel that the Waze team doesn't view "learning" in a broad enough sense. If you have hit an alternate route n times in a row, then Waze should start presenting that route over the route that their servers return.

Rob
biffhero

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 am

biffhero wrote:In my view, I feel that the Waze team doesn't view "learning" in a broad enough sense. If you have hit an alternate route n times in a row, then Waze should start presenting that route over the route that their servers return.

This functionality used to exist, but had to be disabled for some reason I forget. If you notice in the app, when you bring up alt routes, there's a note about a favorite route with a heart icon. The plan is to be able to re-implement this some day, ETA unknown.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby biffhero » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
biffhero wrote:In my view, I feel that the Waze team doesn't view "learning" in a broad enough sense. If you have hit an alternate route n times in a row, then Waze should start presenting that route over the route that their servers return.

This functionality used to exist, but had to be disabled for some reason I forget. If you notice in the app, when you bring up alt routes, there's a note about a favorite route with a heart icon. The plan is to be able to re-implement this some day, ETA unknown.

That would be really awesome. For some reason, Waze has never figured out where I live or where I am going. You would think that after 148,000 points, most all of it to / from work, it would have figured that out by now.

Rob
biffhero

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I've done all this stuff. I've driven the Waze route, I've driven the alternate routes, I've proven that my way is faster. Rob, I have over 850,000 points and I've been doing this for over a year. I've been over the map with a fine tooth comb and my preferred route doesn't even come up as an alternate.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem is that Waze desperately wants to get me to the highway as quick as possible, but that's NOT the fastest way home. Every move it makes on my way home is obviously trying to get me to the highway, and I just want to go the faster way. "Avoid highways" is no good because I DO eventually end up on the highway. The problem is that Waze thinks that highways are a bigger priority than the "fastest route".
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Depending on the route length, yes, Waze will prefer to use highways and freeways.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Learning?

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

biffhero wrote:That would be really awesome. For some reason, Waze has never figured out where I live or where I am going. You would think that after 148,000 points, most all of it to / from work, it would have figured that out by now.

Do you have the home and work favorites set and do you usually navigate there?
It should figure it out in less than a week if thats the case.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby jonycp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Andy and Alan,

In fact, the road I travel every day is free of errors, etc on the map. The problem here is that the alternative route takes 15 minutes more time in the morning, and I don't really have time to drive it, unless I get out earlier - a challenge with my family.

In principle, I find this a weakness of the application. It is tracking my drive every time I have it on, the road I am on is visible in the waze map, and it is demonstrably error free. The application should, based on my history alone, determine that this is a viable alternate route.

Thank you for confirming the current mechanism of route learning. If my route does not show up after I inconvenience myself for a week or so, I will be removing the app.
jonycp

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:39 pm

jonycp wrote:Andy and Alan,

In fact, the road I travel every day is free of errors, etc on the map. The problem here is that the alternative route takes 15 minutes more time in the morning, and I don't really have time to drive it, unless I get out earlier - a challenge with my family.

In principle, I find this a weakness of the application. It is tracking my drive every time I have it on, the road I am on is visible in the waze map, and it is demonstrably error free. The application should, based on my history alone, determine that this is a viable alternate route.

Thank you for confirming the current mechanism of route learning. If my route does not show up after I inconvenience myself for a week or so, I will be removing the app.

The only assumption we can make is that there is not heavy Waze usage in your area yet. When we recommend that people drive the slower route so Waze routing servers can learn, that is assuming that there isn't anyone else on the road using Waze driving that route. When there is heavy Waze usage in an area, Waze will get that data from other drivers and learn that it's slower without you having to drive it.

What city are you in?
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Sure we can try to determine why waze doesn't think the route taken every day is one of three fastest that waze can find. But that's not really the primary issue. When you ask for alternate routes, the app still includes the text next to the heart: "Your preferred route Tip: Teach Waze your preferred routes by simply driving them several times." Waze should include the route you take every morning as an alternate route even if its not one of the fastest. This shouldn't require any other users in your area. If waze isn't going to do this, they should stop implying it will in the marketing materials and in the app itself.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 pm

CBenson wrote:When you ask for alternate routes, the app still includes the text next to the heart: "Your preferred route Tip: Teach Waze your preferred routes by simply driving them several times."

I've never seen the heart come up in the alternate routes screen. I thought this was something that no longer worked.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing