Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Again, I tend to think that Waze puts too much priority on Highways
yrrabsille

Re: Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am

bgodette wrote:Waze doesn't learn routes in the sense people think.

It learns frequent destinations, what turns are allowed, the time it takes to make those turns, and average speeds for a particular timeslot. If your personal preferred route is NOT the fastest, it won't be used, if it's not 2nd or 3rd fastest you won't even see it in the alternate route list. Even then, it's all dependent on the map being correct, which is nearly always the case for people getting poor results.

As far as learning frequent destinations, it does extremely well if you have any semblance of routine in your life. I'm always amazed that it seems to know where I'm going. But as far as my way home, my preferred route IS the fastest way home and it never picks it. It doesn't even show up as an alternate route.

Today I left work and it said I'd be home at 7:43 pm, I ignored it's first turn at recalculated to 7:42, ignored it's next turn and it recalculated to 7:44. The nextext 4 times that I ignored/recalc it stayed with 7:44. When it finally got it right, it recalculated to 7:36 ETA and I got home around 7:39 after a quick stop at a store.

This has been going on for over a year, and I've spent a LOT of time fine tuning the map. I keep the app set to "fastest route" but it clearly prefers the highway route to the fastest route.
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm

My problem is that my preferred route doesn't even show up in alternate routes and doesn't figure out my route until about 15 minutes into the drive. It want to take me any way BUT my route, even though its undoubtedly the fasted
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I've done all this stuff. I've driven the Waze route, I've driven the alternate routes, I've proven that my way is faster. Rob, I have over 850,000 points and I've been doing this for over a year. I've been over the map with a fine tooth comb and my preferred route doesn't even come up as an alternate.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem is that Waze desperately wants to get me to the highway as quick as possible, but that's NOT the fastest way home. Every move it makes on my way home is obviously trying to get me to the highway, and I just want to go the faster way. "Avoid highways" is no good because I DO eventually end up on the highway. The problem is that Waze thinks that highways are a bigger priority than the "fastest route".
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

Fvwazing,
I don't care what you call it, that's not my gripe. I started this thread because my settings are set to "fastest" and it won't even acknowledge the fastest route, not even as an alternate. Even though it takes me TO work this way every day, it refuses, even resists this route on my way home.
Coming up on 2 years of teaching it all the routes, and still nothing.
Barry
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

I don't think it's really been hijacked, it's just spawned good conversation about potential routing problems.

Alan, I'll pay more attention tonight to what the comparison is on mileage, but it seems to me that Fastest Route should take the fastest route, regardless of road types. That's kind of been my gripe from the start, it puts too much priority on highways.

As I mentioned before, this one really baffles me ESPECIALLY since it actually prefers to take me TO work this way and yet it so actively RESISTS this route on the way home.
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 pm

So, today I left for work from a friends house. I had in my mind a certain route that I thought would be best and I assumed that Waze would probably pick it. Nope. Waze just wanted to go to the highway. But I thought that it would probably be not much different to go either way so I decided to skip the turn to the highway. It recalculated and took an entire eight minutes off of the destination time. That's huge. I can't say it enough, Waze puts way too much priority on the highways. At this point I have very little confidence that Waze ever chooses the fastest route unless the fastest route happens to be the highway. And in New England, that's not always true.
And I consider the maps in this area to be very good.
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 am

Nice, thank you, that's good to hear.

Barry
yrrabsille

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing