Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning?

Postby dcsohl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm having a similar issue as the OP here, in that Waze is not learning my route home. Oddly, Waze has learned my route to work in the morning; my preferred route shows up as an alternate route in Waze. I'm able to select it and use it to get to work in the morning.

But coming home in the evening, Waze has never presented me with my preferred route, which is simply the morning route backwards.

Here's an illustration... my route home from work, giving only one option: https://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=12&l ... g=61633318 (NB: I am finding in Firefox, loading up that map URL, that it wants to show me the whole world and I have to zoom all the way in to see the route. If you have to do this, know that this is all happening about 15 miles west of Boston, MA.) And my route to work, showing both options: https://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=12&l ... g=61611535

You can see, on the map, that a major road, State Route 9, runs a straight line from point A to point B. The Interstate route adds over two miles to the route and is, on average, roughly the same time. Sometimes it's faster, and sometimes Route 9 is faster. But Waze, going eastbound in the evenings, won't even consider Route 9, not even as an alternative route, until after I drive past the on-ramps to the Interstate. Then it recalculates to use Route 9 the whole way, and often 9 is faster. (Side note: When I drive past the first ramp, Waze recalculates to tell me to take an illegal left turn onto the other ramp, and doesn't consider Route 9 until after I drive past both ramps.)

So why is Waze learning the Route 9 way westbound, but not eastbound?
dcsohl

Postby dcsohl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Hmm, interesting find on those segments. But the speed data is a bit confusing to me... It seems to me that when you see a segment that says "48/3 mph" that traffic is moving one way at 48 mph and the other way at 3 mph... but I don't know how to tell which direction is which. So I'm going to guess based on my knowledge of the area.

On your first two (well, three, since your second and third segment are the same one ;) ) segments, there is a traffic light at the intersection of Temple which can cause some delays. The low speeds are probably traffic heading towards the light. Likewise on your fourth segment, there's a light at Country Club Ln.

But your fifth segment... wow, that's a strange one. 3 mph in one direction... probably eastbound given the behaviour. The Country Club Ln light doesn't usually back up that far (though it does, sometimes), and the segments to the west of that segment have fine numbers, including the highway ramps.
dcsohl

Learning?

Postby dirgela » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now, to this day, there is still a route I prefer to take which is slower than the fastest route. I know it is, but it doesn't go over a mountain which is often slippery with ice or snow and unexpected accidents. So, every morning, I do still need to select my preferred route from the alternate routes list.

In this case you actually don't need routing at all.
iPhone 4S
dirgela

Re: Re: Learning?

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:39 am

gerben wrote:
If that's still too complicated, then maybe we can steal the idea from my old Tom-Tom GPS that has no internet connectivity: add a button called "avoid roadblock" which allows you to avoid the current road for a specified distance (can specify 1/4 mile, 0.5 mile, 1 mile, 3 mile, etc) and finds the best route possible with the exception of the current road.

I used that one a lot when I still used TT, and I have wanted to use this in Waze several times...

Yeah it's probably the one feature I miss from my tomtom days!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:53 pm

yrrabsille wrote:A LOT of editing has been lost

Just because you're not seeing things as you expect doesn't mean anything has been lost. We've had issues like this before on both servers and rarely has anything actually been lost. Once support have confirmed a solution/timescale you can begin to assess the impact. There's no point speculating before!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby foxitrot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Note that there are a few times I have seen it route me a 3rd direction further down the freeway. I usually find no issue with my normal route, so I am not sure why it ever selects that route over mine.

Give it a try ;-) then you'll possibly know.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Learning?

Postby fvwazing » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Ceterum Censeo:
This whole thread would never have happened if the function was called "Learn my frequent destinations" instead of "Learn my preferred routes".
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Learning?

Postby fvwazing » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:54 pm

yrrabsille wrote:I started this thread because my settings are set to "fastest" and it won't even acknowledge the fastest route, not even as an alternate.

Ok, just reread the whole thread. I should have said something along the line of "The second part of this thread would never have happened...". I did not see the thread was hijacked!
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby gerben » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:29 pm

If that's still too complicated, then maybe we can steal the idea from my old Tom-Tom GPS that has no internet connectivity: add a button called "avoid roadblock" which allows you to avoid the current road for a specified distance (can specify 1/4 mile, 0.5 mile, 1 mile, 3 mile, etc) and finds the best route possible with the exception of the current road.

I used that one a lot when I still used TT, and I have wanted to use this in Waze several times...
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:22 pm

xjdeng wrote:I think there needs to be a feature to turn off the "bias" against "streets" (when traffic is very heavy and you want Waze to search for backroads.)

Likely most other GPS solutions do something similar. If these types of roads were considered for every route (especially long routes) there were be a huge, huge number of routing possibilities. Since Waze routing is essentially network based and we expect a route to be returned quickly - it may not be feasible for Waze to be assessing routes based on lower quality roads - especially on longer trips.

Surely this is all relevant as to why Waze used to limit routes to 200 miles and now limits to 1000 miles.

In using Waze, I have noticed that longer routes (a couple of apx. 300 miles) take a long time to return a route and/or time out more frequently. So Waze is already handicapped with long routes, even with the streets being mostly filtered out of the route calculation.

We don't necessarily know exactly how Waze is determining when to re-route based on traffic now. We suspect the time saving must be at least 4 to 5 minutes. Maybe they do have some additional consideration for streets in the local vicinity when traffic is very heavy and there are no reasonable highway alternatives? (well there are - it's off a ramp and back on! :twisted: )
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing