Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning?

Postby gettingthere » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:05 pm

A brief look at is seems that the road directionality is correct as well as turn restrictions along Worcester St to the East. I do see several segments with very low road speed info, in one direction in Cartouche_old. This may or may not be relevant since Waze supposedly uses time of day speed data that we don't have access to as map editors.

Possible workarounds:

* Keep driving the way you want to go whether Waze routes you that way or not. Unfortunately if you do this on your own, you may route yourself into a traffic jam that Waze is trying to avoid :)

* An editor could try re-doing some/all of the segments with very low speed data. Generally this is somewhat of a last resort measure.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=22389049

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=22419474

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=22419474

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=22455081

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... 1=22434644
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:59 pm

RallyChris wrote:I've been told by Dror to ignore the speed numbers in old cartouche, that navigation isn't using those at all. He didn't actually state it, but I inferred that he also was trying to say that they may not be accurate, since they aren't used, they may not being updated (correctly?)

If they are not longer using this data or if it is not accurate, it should be removed ;)

Although I have seen at least one case where I was personally having routing issues, saw very low speed data such as this on the segment in question, re-did the segment, and the routing issue was resolved when the map updated.

Although I do agree (and posted above) that likely this data is not reflective of what is being used for the routing since Waze is supposedly using time of day data for routing (although lots of questions on how this actually works, how many data points are there, etc.).
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Learning?

Postby gettingthere » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:47 am

Check out status.waze.com. There are issues with the display layer of the map editor. Per comments on the recent status post from Dror, no previous edits are lost. They are working to resolve this issue.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Waze had stated that the last tile update process (apx. 1 week ago) didn't complete. So likely they aborted it since it was causing problems and some of those problems are 'live' in the Application.

As I understand it, the date on LiveMap is when the last tile building process completed. But since we know another tile update process was attempted and problems have been spotted, we can assume that some tiles have been updated since Dec 11.

Hopefully they can get the process to complete this weekend to fix up this mess.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 pm

yrrabsille wrote:The fact that it prefers a "street" last explains the problem. About half way through my commute I get off the highway and head to the streets. And it's not because of traffic, it's just a quicker way. It's likely that Waze will never use my route then.

For routes longer than a threshold value (10Km IIRC, or was it 10mi?), the routing server does attach a penalty to Streets. One workaround--which I recommend only if it makes sense to do so on the map--is to reclassify the streets in question (or as many as can be justified) to Primary Streets, which do not have that penalty.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:36 pm

I've been setting divided streets with 35 MPH speed limit or higher as a Primary Street.

Here, most of the major streets were set as Minor Highways, and everything else was a regular Street.

There has to be a good balance in order for routing that avoids regular Streets, and also for the Avoid Highways option if that is ever fixed.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:44 pm

We have a number of primary streets with residential driveways. You're going to find this in suburbia where every street has residential driveways.

If you have a large area that has nothing but regular streets and you need to navigate through it, the paths of least resistance (widest street, more than one lane, highest speed limits, fewest stop signs) are going to be your Primary Streets. That's where you want Waze to route the thru-traffic.

And as Sketch said, they might have a 30 MPH speed limit or even 25 (can't think of any like that ATM), where every other street is 20 MPH.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 am

CBenson wrote:I am also under the impression that there is distance from the ends of the route beyond which primary streets are also not considered.

I missed this earlier. I wasn't aware of this.

But realistically, where could you possibly be that you're more than a few miles from a road that could be classified as a Minor Highway (let's say a non-federal highway with speed of 45+).

Maybe we should set up a grid in the desert somewhere to simulate a 30 mile wide suburb and experiment with the street types to see how livemap routes things.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 am

sketch wrote:Haha, so perhaps there is indeed an advantage to my "overuse" of the Minor Highway road type, then?

You're the one doing that? I thought those came off the base maps. I've converted a lot of them into Primary Streets but purposely left some, just because I thought it was a bad idea to get rid of all of them.

I still question whether Canal Street should be a Minor Highway. I wouldn't want to route anyone there who wasn't coming from close by. It's definitely not a quick way to get anywhere.

The rule I've been following is to use Minor Highway for a prominent State Hwy...minimum speed limit 45...preferably streets with "Hwy" as the suffix (Behrman Hwy, Jefferson Hwy, etc.) The inner-city stretches of US Hwy 90 probably work better as Minor Hwy rather than Major Hwy.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm

dcsohl wrote: It seems to me that when you see a segment that says "48/3 mph" that traffic is moving one way at 48 mph and the other way at 3 mph... but I don't know how to tell which direction is which. So I'm going to guess based on my knowledge of the area.

It depends on which direction that segment was drawn. Just like on one-way streets, the arrow in the editor can point in either direction depending on whether the segment was drawn forwards or backwards. There's no easy way to tell.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing