Learning?

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am

bgodette wrote:Waze doesn't learn routes in the sense people think.

It learns frequent destinations, what turns are allowed, the time it takes to make those turns, and average speeds for a particular timeslot. If your personal preferred route is NOT the fastest, it won't be used, if it's not 2nd or 3rd fastest you won't even see it in the alternate route list. Even then, it's all dependent on the map being correct, which is nearly always the case for people getting poor results.

As far as learning frequent destinations, it does extremely well if you have any semblance of routine in your life. I'm always amazed that it seems to know where I'm going. But as far as my way home, my preferred route IS the fastest way home and it never picks it. It doesn't even show up as an alternate route.

Today I left work and it said I'd be home at 7:43 pm, I ignored it's first turn at recalculated to 7:42, ignored it's next turn and it recalculated to 7:44. The nextext 4 times that I ignored/recalc it stayed with 7:44. When it finally got it right, it recalculated to 7:36 ETA and I got home around 7:39 after a quick stop at a store.

This has been going on for over a year, and I've spent a LOT of time fine tuning the map. I keep the app set to "fastest route" but it clearly prefers the highway route to the fastest route.
yrrabsille

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 am

The "learning" question has been added to the FAQ. The answer likely doesn't contain anything you don't already know regarding the selected Waze route vs your preferred route.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby usnret04 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The "learning" question has been added to the FAQ. The answer likely doesn't contain anything you don't already know regarding the selected Waze route vs your preferred route.

The FAQ did clear up a few things. I had always thought that this option was memorizing your preferred routes, but it does not.

My problem is that I take the highway (interstate) to work and I avoid it on the way home. It's frustrating that I have to go into options to change that every day. Usually on the way home I'll drive a couple of miles and it will then re-route me. But it would be nice to know if that route has a major issue before taking it.
usnret04

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm

When you start navigating home, you can click on "routes" and Waze will suggest alternate ways home - and will show the same bar with issues displayed.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm

My problem is that my preferred route doesn't even show up in alternate routes and doesn't figure out my route until about 15 minutes into the drive. It want to take me any way BUT my route, even though its undoubtedly the fasted
yrrabsille

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:22 pm

yrrabsille wrote:My problem is that my preferred route doesn't even show up in alternate routes and doesn't figure out my route until about 15 minutes into the drive. It want to take me any way BUT my route, even though its undoubtedly the fasted

Have you checked the route on the map to make sure there isn't an error along it?
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jonycp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I have a route I drive every day that is not offered as an alternative. I suppose if i was traveling one of the offered routes, waze would learn my preference. As it is now, though, I hear the prompts to select one or the other route the whole way until there is no alternative but to stay on my route (very near my destination).

Isn't there some way we can CREATE our own route??? The roads I travel on are unblemished on the wave maps!

Please someone else echo this request!

Alternatively, how are routes selected/calculated now (from a given start point). Is there some way to influence the calculation?

- Hopeful in Hanover
jonycp

Postby jonycp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Perhaps this is answering my question:
" Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions.
The reason just driving the expected or preferred route won't work automatically is because Waze could have incorrect speed data on the segments it wants you to take. If Waze thinks another road is 2x as fast as your preferred road, no amount of driving on your preferred road can change the data for the other road. Waze needs accurate data for all neighboring segments and routes in order to always compute the fastest (or shortest, depending on your app setting) route."

So if I demonstrate to Waze that my route (my drive) is faster by driving its slower alternate route a few times, it should pick this up and offer my drive as a possible route?
jonycp

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:15 pm

jonycp wrote:So if I demonstrate to Waze that my route (my drive) is faster by driving its slower alternate route a few times, it should pick this up and offer my drive as a possible route?
As long as there are not errors along your preferred route.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 pm

jonycp wrote:So if I demonstrate to Waze that my route (my drive) is faster by driving its slower alternate route a few times, it should pick this up and offer my drive as a possible route?

In simplest terms, yes. As Andy already noted, the preferred route must be checked to ensure no missing segments, incorrect road directionality, restricted turns, etc. All manner of possible problems could exist.

And I have personally watched Waze figure out the best way to go after I've driven the recommended route. And it wasn't just one recommended route: after I took one route a few times, it tried another route, not the ideal route, so I took that one, both directions, a few times. It took about a month of various different routes to get the ideal one working.

Now, to this day, there is still a route I prefer to take which is slower than the fastest route. I know it is, but it doesn't go over a mountain which is often slippery with ice or snow and unexpected accidents. So, every morning, I do still need to select my preferred route from the alternate routes list.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing