Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning?

Postby jonycp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 pm

jasonh300 wrote:

The only assumption we can make is that there is not heavy Waze usage in your area yet. When we recommend that people drive the slower route so Waze routing servers can learn, that is assuming that there isn't anyone else on the road using Waze driving that route. When there is heavy Waze usage in an area, Waze will get that data from other drivers and learn that it's slower without you having to drive it.

What city are you in?

I am in Hanover, PA, and I drive to York, PA. I agree there are probably not many other Wazers in the area at this time. I don't see any other driver icons on the route I take either way.
jonycp

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm

In my route to work, getting off the freeway has two routes that are possible. What appears to be the shorter of the two is what Waze "usually" uses, but I never take that route because sometimes I find heavier traffic on part of it and there is a long light required for a left turn. When I take my route it of course will recalc to my route and show my distance increased by 0.5 miles, but the time is about the same. Because my route does not have that left turn light I don't stop driving. I hate to wait. :D

Periodically (1 per week or few weeks) Waze will select the route I always take. At those times I can see there is usually heavier traffic on the normal route. So I know Waze will take an alternate route based on traffic. I guess the route it proposes is actually faster most of the time, but psychologically I like not stopping.

Note that there are a few times I have seen it route me a 3rd direction further down the freeway. I usually find no issue with my normal route, so I am not sure why it ever selects that route over mine.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Learning?

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

biffhero wrote:That would be really awesome. For some reason, Waze has never figured out where I live or where I am going. You would think that after 148,000 points, most all of it to / from work, it would have figured that out by now.

Do you have the home and work favorites set and do you usually navigate there?
It should figure it out in less than a week if thats the case.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby mapcat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Also, if your preferred route uses roads designated as "street" anywhere but the beginning or end, Waze will not want to take you that way.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ottonomy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:06 pm

I have a workaround for this problem. I'm sure that there are others who do the same, but I haven't heard it mentioned in this discussion:

At the point along my preferred route which is the farthest deviation from the route that Waze always suggests, I create a favorite, either with a street address, or by tapping and holding on the map at that point. The next time I want to take MY route, I choose my usual destination, wait for Waze to plan the route its way, and then "Add a Stop", at which point I enter my off-course favorite. In most cases, Waze will then map out the whole route the way I like it. It's an extra step, but it's effective, and sometimes this approach has helped Waze to finally see it my way, apparently since this is causing Waze's routing servers to actually calculate my entire route, rather than only the portions of it that are left when I have refused to follow its suggestions.
ottonomy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby RallyChris » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:41 pm

I've been told by Dror to ignore the speed numbers in old cartouche, that navigation isn't using those at all. He didn't actually state it, but I inferred that he also was trying to say that they may not be accurate, since they aren't used, they may not being updated (correctly?)
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RickW-NC » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:25 am

If you ask for alternate routes, yours should be one of them. If you have the settings on fastest route, learning turned on, and there are not dirt roads to avoid etc. it should include your route. If you go the Waze way with Waze on a few times, it should learn that that route is slower, but it sounds like you already did that. I know it worked at one time but I have not tried it lately. This topic seems to pop up every once in a while.
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Postby RickW-NC » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm

If you are using the new editor do the Shift-A thing and look for red arrows on your route. I got the impression you can be routed through them but it costs more. Since we are playing on an evolving field, every little trick helps. (You will want to turn those arrows green and if you do the Shift-A twice after a save they are shown correctly again) Good luck and keep us posted on the results. You might also try routing with the "avoid highways" option turned on and see what it does. It is usually very interesting.
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Postby sketch » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Is your way along surface streets, and is Waze's way along freeways?

The routing server, if I'm not mistaken, gives each node along a route a five-second penalty, since nodes can contain stop signs, traffic lights, slow turning vehicles &c. This is done to offset the server's discounting a certain amount of slow speeds per segment so that average speed is not as strongly affected by stopped traffic at lights and so forth.

It could be that your route has a number of nodes and is therefore assigned a number of penalties, all of which add up to make Waze think your way is slower.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:55 pm

35 is absolutely classifiable as a Primary Street. I have Primary Streets with speed limits of 30 or, occasionally, 25.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing