Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning?

Postby sketch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 pm

jasonh300 wrote:We have a number of primary streets with residential driveways. You're going to find this in suburbia where every street has residential driveways.

If you have a large area that has nothing but regular streets and you need to navigate through it, the paths of least resistance (widest street, more than one lane, highest speed limits, fewest stop signs) are going to be your Primary Streets. That's where you want Waze to route the thru-traffic.

And as Sketch said, they might have a 30 MPH speed limit or even 25 (can't think of any like that ATM), where every other street is 20 MPH.

This exactly. The first and last thoroughfares I take every day are packed with houses with driveways.

Jason, Jackson Ave between St Charles and Tchoupitoulas (at least) is a good example of a street with a 25 mph speed limit that should absolutely be a Primary Street. All the strictly residential streets in New Orleans proper have 25 mph speed limits, too, but Jackson is the wider one with signaled intersections and no stop signs. A number of primary streets in New Orleans are like this, since the blanket law is that all undivided streets have a 25 mph speed limit.

There's no easy way to make a rule, but it should be fairly intuitive.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 am

Haha, so perhaps there is indeed an advantage to my "overuse" of the Minor Highway road type, then?
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah, I did that two years ago. Back when it was a pretty good bet that Waze wouldn't be able to get you anywhere.

The idea was that it would be nice to have some sort of differentiation between big thoroughfares like Claiborne Ave and Causeway Blvd and smaller main roads like Jackson Ave and Magazine St. At the time, no one knew what the implications of this would be.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby stlninx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm

I think I am in the same boat here. There are three subdivisions off a major road where I live. I live in the middle one. Waze alwaze wants to take me through the first one. When I turn onto my street it looses me and thinks it needs to route me to the 3rd one. (mine is in the middle) The point is that I turn into mine every day 5 days a week and it still doesnt learn that I am not going in #1 or #3.
stlninx

Postby usnret04 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The "learning" question has been added to the FAQ. The answer likely doesn't contain anything you don't already know regarding the selected Waze route vs your preferred route.

The FAQ did clear up a few things. I had always thought that this option was memorizing your preferred routes, but it does not.

My problem is that I take the highway (interstate) to work and I avoid it on the way home. It's frustrating that I have to go into options to change that every day. Usually on the way home I'll drive a couple of miles and it will then re-route me. But it would be nice to know if that route has a major issue before taking it.
usnret04

Postby WeeeZer14 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 pm

jasonh300 wrote:If you have a large area that has nothing but regular streets and you need to navigate through it, the paths of least resistance (widest street, more than one lane, highest speed limits, fewest stop signs) are going to be your Primary Streets. That's where you want Waze to route the thru-traffic.

Quoted for truth :)

Primary street should be decided based on function, not physical characteristics. A primary street can be a rutted dirt wagon trail if the other "streets" in the area are foot paths :)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby xjdeng » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 pm

mapcat wrote:Also, if your preferred route uses roads designated as "street" anywhere but the beginning or end, Waze will not want to take you that way.

I think there needs to be a feature to turn off the "bias" against "streets" (when traffic is very heavy and you want Waze to search for backroads.)
xjdeng

Postby xjdeng » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:19 am

gettingthere wrote:
xjdeng wrote:I think there needs to be a feature to turn off the "bias" against "streets" (when traffic is very heavy and you want Waze to search for backroads.)

Likely most other GPS solutions do something similar. If these types of roads were considered for every route (especially long routes) there were be a huge, huge number of routing possibilities. Since Waze routing is essentially network based and we expect a route to be returned quickly - it may not be feasible for Waze to be assessing routes based on lower quality roads - especially on longer trips.

Surely this is all relevant as to why Waze used to limit routes to 200 miles and now limits to 1000 miles.

In using Waze, I have noticed that longer routes (a couple of apx. 300 miles) take a long time to return a route and/or time out more frequently. So Waze is already handicapped with long routes, even with the streets being mostly filtered out of the route calculation.

We don't necessarily know exactly how Waze is determining when to re-route based on traffic now. We suspect the time saving must be at least 4 to 5 minutes. Maybe they do have some additional consideration for streets in the local vicinity when traffic is very heavy and there are no reasonable highway alternatives? (well there are - it's off a ramp and back on! :twisted: )

I don't think blindly including backroads in every routing calculation would be a smart move. However, there are certain situations where backroads may provide a legitimately faster alternative when traffic on the main freeway is very heavy. Maybe only enable searching backroads if the main freeway trunk is completely jammed (say < 10 MPH avg speed otherwise the backroads with a speed limit of 20-30 mph and frequent intersections will definitely be faster.)

If that's still too complicated, then maybe we can steal the idea from my old Tom-Tom GPS that has no internet connectivity: add a button called "avoid roadblock" which allows you to avoid the current road for a specified distance (can specify 1/4 mile, 0.5 mile, 1 mile, 3 mile, etc) and finds the best route possible with the exception of the current road.
xjdeng

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:29 am

I've been driving to work the same way for many years now. It's not the way most people would go, but it's the fastest way to work, hands down. I've tried every way. I was under the impression that Waze would "learn" my route, but it doesn't. Even after months of using it on a daily basis, it still wants to take me another way (which I've been before, but it's 5-10 min longer). No matter how I put the settings, it just doesn't like my way. I've been in the map editor with a fine-tooth comb to make sure everything is right. Very frustrating. I know my way is better, when I leave the house, Waze usually says it'll take about 48-53 min, but I ignore it's route and get there in 40. Any suggestions?
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:26 pm

I've tried the alternate routes option and no luck. I haven't been the Waze way in quite a while, so maybe I'll try that. Thank you

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.756048,-73.991492
yrrabsille

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing