Learning?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:04 pm

All of this is great info. I tried the Google thing and it suggests the same way as Waze and claims it will take 46 minutes. When I drag it to my route, the time changes to 52 minutes. But when I actually drive my route, it takes me 38 minutes with no hurry at all. When I drive the Google/Waze route, it takes me more like 45 to 50 Minutes. The Google/Waze route is indeed more highways and mine is more backroads, so I think the node issue mentioned above may be the problem.

As far as: "What if you take your route. Is there a point within the route when waze switches to "your" preferred route?"
The result has varied over the last several months, but it has improved. It used to really, really resist my route and try to make me turn back, but lately (a few months ago) it has switched to my route almost immediately after my deviation (it tries once to get me back on the highway). So there was hope that it was going to eventually learn that my way was better, but no luck. My route still doesn't even come up as an option when I ask for options at the start of my commute.

"How does ETA change during that switch?" Well, it actually acknowledges that my way is faster, the ETA at that point usually makes a 9 minute improvement.

I'm going to go though the route and make sure there are no more nodes than there should be and see if things get better (when the maps update). Thank you for all of your help, this gives me more to think over and try out. If there are more thoughts on this, please post. I'll keep you updated.
Barry
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:25 pm

So I went through the route and there [i]were[i] quite a few unneeded nodes, hopefully that will help. This week I'm going to alternate routes (mine/waze) and try to teach it. Other than that, it's a matter of waiting for the map to update.
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 pm

The fact that it prefers a "street" last explains the problem. About half way through my commute I get off the highway and head to the streets. And it's not because of traffic, it's just a quicker way. It's likely that Waze will never use my route then. Using the "Avoid Highways" feature won't work at all because the first half of my trip is highway. One thing that would be a HUGE help would be an "Avoid Toll Roads" feature. It still wouldn't choose my route because I actually get off 4 exits before the toll and the toll IS part of the reason I do it. The Waze route brings me to the next exit after the toll. Is there any hope for getting that feature sometime soon? I know that this is primarily Northeast U.S. issue, but there's a lot of us up here. :-)
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 pm

One of the longer back-roads on my route is a road that is heavily travelled by locals because it avoids the hustle of the city. The speed limit is 35, but I think it could be justified to call it a Primary Street, especially if it will make the difference in finding efficient routes for others as well, and I think it will. I'm going to change it and see what happens. Now for the map to update to the client again...

Barry
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:21 am

I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrated I am with this "learning" issue and now frustrated with cartouche as well. To update you guys on the original problem I posted about on this thread, there has been ZERO progress. I hoped that the map update would help since I spent a LOT of time updating the map to help this issue out only to find out that half of my updates never saved. Mainly it's on Salmon Falls Rd in Rochester, NH where I changed it from a street to a primary street. Go look at the stupid thing now, only portions of it saved and what's left it won't let me fix. I can change it, but moments later it changes back. So I went and looked at other roads I've fixed and sure enough, they're screwed up too. Check out Dover Point Rd. in Dover, NH.
How much more of my hours of work was wasted all over New England?
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 pm

That's not true. The screwed up map is "live".
I saw it for myself on my way to work. There's a lot of wasted work out there
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:13 pm

A LOT of editing has been lost
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:04 pm

So to update everyone on this topic, It's now been well over a year of driving with Waze back and forth to work. Several months ago it FINALLY caught on that my way was the best and fastest way to work. But as far as going home, it still doesn't have a clue. The routing algorithms for this app are utterly obsessed with getting me to the highway first, and then getting me home, even though that's the longest way I know. When I initially fire up Waze leaving work, it tells me that it'll take as much as 50 minutes. Little by little as I ignore it's instruction and go my own way, it whittles away at the ETA, fully acknowledging that my way is shorter. Yet it will do it again tomorrow. It only takes me 38 minutes to get home MY way, but day after day it ignores that route. It doesn't even come up as one of the options for alternate routes. I've gone through all my settings over and over again. What gives?
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Jesse Doe Rd. Rollinsford, NH
TO
School St. Sanbornville, NH

Preferred route:
left on Church St.
L on Main
L on High
L onto Rte 236
Follow into Berwick, ME and once I cross Rte. 9 it finally catches on to "my" way (because of various one ways and turn restrictions, I wiggle through town, which waze gets right, and come out the other side going NW on Rochester Rd.)
From there it does well
yrrabsille

Learning?

Postby yrrabsille » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm

The odd thing is that this is the way it now takes me to work, but it won't reverse it
yrrabsille

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing