Problem routing to location from various starting points

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Problem routing to location from various starting points

Postby bgodette » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Also what are the sensible routing choices, just the basic overview like which cities it should go through and such.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Only things I saw going along I-5/SH-38 other than the generic "unneeded junctions"

Link
Link <- might be this
Nice chicane, presumably harmless.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:Also what are the sensible routing choices, just the basic overview like which cities it should go through and such.

The only reasonable routes from Eugene as a whole are OR126. If you further north, nearer Junction City on OR99W, OR36 is also a reasonable route. Either way, you end up going through Florence. But it should definitely find routes within Eugene to get out to Beltline or W 11th, which becomes OR126.

Seems like SH-36 if you're near Junction, SH-126 in west Eugene, and I-5/SH-38 for Springfield and E/SE Eugene.

How about Bailey Hill Rd/Lorane Hwy/Territorial Rd down to SH-38?

We see the route server get stumped by routes that are significantly longer than their straight line, presumably this happens in the branch pruning (at some point it has to decide a particular route is undesirable and/or won't get there, and it gets pruned), so we might be fighting some more edge cases with these long routes that follow winding roads with lots of junctions.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:42 pm

The more I think on the problem of long routes and Waze returning odd or no results, I come back to pruning. At some point the algorithm must prune the number of potential solutions as it attempts to get closer to the destination.

There's certainly a large number of rules to determine what to prune, but almost certainly one of them is the number of segments or junctions that have been traversed vs time and distance. This also explains some of it's strong preference to use Freeways as they tend to be the most well maintained at this point and usually have the fewest junctions per mile. This brings a strong argument to elimination of all extraneous junctions, and if possible, integrating city boundary junctions into the nearest intersection. There's possibly an argument for elimination of private roads that serve as access to a single residence off a Major/Minor Highway such as this.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:51 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:FYI, did you notice that the most updated layer on the US livemap is no longer the closest zoom level, but one higher than that?
Yes I noticed.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I heard back from Support today and they have fixed the problem with this routing. The reason for not being able to find a route, according to Dror, is interesting and now I need to get some help from the megamappers in terms of what you remember from the meetup about route pruning, road type preferences for route distance, etc. I haven't gotten that part in my recording, so I don't have notes about it yet.

Not much detail was given other than Primary Road wasn't one of the road types that were considered for the middle portion of long routes. Assuming we're typing all state highway/routes as Minor, then IMO Primary Road *should* be considered and valued as a minor highway.

As far as pruning goes, I would imagine that at some point a route that's following along a Minor will prune before a route following along Major which will prune before a route following Freeway. What those thresholds are is probable a business secret and we won't know more than Minor < Major < Freeway.

Maybe we need to rethink how we type Major and Minor again and go more for what the road looks like, functions as, and capacity instead of going by US vs State numbered.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:From the meetup, I only remember that "primary roads" were Freeway, Major Hwy, and Minor Hwy (and maybe ramps?). That is when we learned that Primary Street wasn't getting any preference over Street.

I'm pretty sure ramps are considered primary roads, else we wouldn't have had the ramp-to-ramp traffic bypassing issue.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Problem routing to location from various starting points

Postby FrisbeeDog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:19 am

Agree on the minor/major highway designation based on use rather than state/US. It just needs to be clearly laid out in the wiki what delineates the two.
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina
FrisbeeDog

Postby osbumlets » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:55 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:From the meetup, I only remember that "primary roads" were Freeway, Major Hwy, and Minor Hwy (and maybe ramps?). That is when we learned that Primary Street wasn't getting any preference over Street.

This is really strange to me, because there are 3 streets around me that I've changed from regular to primary street over time, and whenever I changed one, it started recommending it as an alternate route, where it never routed me that way before. Happened every time I 'upgraded' a street.
osbumlets

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm one of the debaters on that topic and sometimes I flip flop in my own head!

But I thought we were told at some point that the only difference between Major and Minor was display on the map? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Of course they could have decided to change that at some point.

From the meetup, I only remember that "primary roads" were Freeway, Major Hwy, and Minor Hwy (and maybe ramps?). That is when we learned that Primary Street wasn't getting any preference over Street.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing