Turn by turn offers weird results.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Turn by turn offers weird results.

Postby chuffpdx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:23 am

I was doubtful but it actually works! waze learned my route much better today!
chuffpdx

Postby kasrhp » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Waze is still in its infant stages. Thats why you encounter some of these problems. What the app does is learn the best routes from place to place over time. The more people that use the app, the more a route is driven, the more people reporting incidents, the better it is.

Read the Wiki, and watch the tutorial video and it will show you what it is all about. You will notice in time the directions get better and better, and also, in time, the routing will be fantastic when it comes to traffic data and construction.
kasrhp

Postby The Fej » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 pm

I'll just add that when there is no information from drives, then its a bit of a guessing game and 'turns' usually have a 'penalty' cost associated with them in our system (stop sign, yield sign, traffic light) whereas the assumption that keeping straight is faster, until proven otherwise :-)
Additionally if a road has not been driven, it might be a one-way street, so roads that have been driven (main roads as mentioned) are prefered, I.e. the known information is used first.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Turn by turn offers weird results.

Postby wontstoptalking » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sure you're aware of this and I'm sure it will probably be worked on soon, but at this time, turn by turn doesn't exactly return the fastest results.

I tried doing a simple, three mile route from my house to a friend's house. The directions do start in correct location and end in the correct location, but everything in between is a bit funky. I'm starting to see a pattern that perhaps Waze tries to give you the route with the least amount of turns. I'm not sure about that, but I think it might be true. Every test-route I've tried (I'm doing this on the waze site, not in the iPhone or Android. I do have Waze on the iPhone, though) routes me to go on main roads, taking very little turns, when simply following smaller roads but taking a few turns would go directly to my destination much faster.

I'm not sure what algorithm Waze uses to route directions, I'm not sure if it's in-house and made by you guys, or in collaboration with another group, but if it could be looked at a bit and made a bit smarter, it would be a HUGE benefit. Turn by turn, along with community traffic, are the two most important things Waze has to provide, and while it's understandable that there are some kinks to work out because we're in very early releases, I just wanted to shoot you guys a heads up.
wontstoptalking

Postby wontstoptalking » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:07 am

Thanks guys, makes sense and sounds great. Keep up the awesome work.
wontstoptalking

Return to Navigation & Routing