Metered On Ramps

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Metered On Ramps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:04 am

Unsure of whether the ramp in question has proper hourly (rush hour) speeds associated yet if it continually is ignored. I'd think that with enough mass of wazers using the ramp, it would eventually have a bad enough speed that it would outweigh other routes' penalties.

Also, after a certain distance, Waze will choose to not use streets/primary streets, even when it can be shown on the livemap, that the non-highway/freeway route is shorter and faster. I worked with a guy up in Washington which proved this out very clearly.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.4
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Metered On Ramps

Postby DebbieKat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:16 am

How does Waze handle metered on ramps? The reason I ask is that when leaving from work towards home, Waze only ever offers me one route to choose from, which is taking the highway (I-405) at the nearest direct entrance for it. That entrance is a metered on ramp and it is much slower than my preferred route, which is about equidistant, but takes me to I-405 via 522 for just a couple of miles with no metered ramp to get to it. Any thoughts on why my alternate route doesn't even show up in the routing options? :?: For experimentation sake, I took Waze's advice the other day and took the more direct route to I-405 and was totally regretting it when I found myself waiting to get on the highway. :cry:
iPhone 6 iOS8
Woodinville, WA, USA
2008 Smart Car
DebbieKat

Postby DebbieKat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:31 am

iPhone 6 iOS8
Woodinville, WA, USA
2008 Smart Car
DebbieKat

Postby DebbieKat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:08 am

If this helps at all, this is a google map of the directions I usually take instead.

http://g.co/maps/bm4gc
iPhone 6 iOS8
Woodinville, WA, USA
2008 Smart Car
DebbieKat

Postby DebbieKat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:16 am

Is it enough of a penalty to not even offer it as an option? The google map says it's only .8 mile more mileage. I guess I'm confused about how Waze determines faster routes. If it's tracking our actual speeds on these roads, why is there any penalty given? Shouldn't it just compare the speeds people are actually traveling on these roads? At least offer it as an option. I don't get anything but the one option for this trip.
iPhone 6 iOS8
Woodinville, WA, USA
2008 Smart Car
DebbieKat

Postby DebbieKat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:23 am

I also often take this route, which avoids the highway altogether, is .1 mile less than taking 405 from the route given and takes the same amount of time, according to google:

http://g.co/maps/99asz
iPhone 6 iOS8
Woodinville, WA, USA
2008 Smart Car
DebbieKat

Postby RallyChris » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:07 am

If you can us a short example by entering some direction in live map, and then click on the Waze logo to get a permalink (don't change zoom levels, or permalink can loose the driving direction segments), I can look further into if the map is mature in the area.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby Spil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:41 am

The simple answer is that you'll need to keep ignoring what Waze routing thinks is the best route and drive your way instead; eventually, Waze will learn what your preferred route is and offer that to you instead. However, this assumes that the map has been sufficiently edited so that your preferred route is permitted by the road settings in the map. If there are errors that need to be corrected (and especially if your area hasn't been improved at all from the imported basemaps), then these conditions will probably need to be addressed before Waze can learn your route properly.
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:13 am

Right now Primary Streets are weighted the same as a regular Street. Your path uses a lot of Primary Streets and that may be enough of a penalty where Waze won't consider it since it can get to the Freeway segments in a much shorter distance. Basically to Waze the time delay on the ramp isn't as bad as the length of surface streets.

In Palo Alto we asked that Waze make Primary Streets more preferred than they are now. No idea of if/when they will do that.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:35 am

Waze uses many factors and exactly how they do it is a trade secret of course.

We know these come into play:
- Road type
- Average Speed (based on time slices)
- Number of junctions (5 second penalty for each!)

So your path has more junctions than the straight to freeway option. That alone may add up to enough to offset the metering.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing