No prompt for U-turn?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

No prompt for U-turn?

Postby AggieJM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:00 am

I encountered this a few days ago. Waze generated a route for a long trip (~250 miles). The route generated was actually longer than the route I usually take, so I drove my normal route and let Waze recalculate as I drove. The route wanted me to head west on US Hwy 290 toward Austin, but I headed east on my route. As I drove, it recalculated and appeared to want me to make a u-turn. The problem was that it gave no indication a u-turn was needed.

The screenshot shows the map from the application. The next turn prompted for Parmer Ln is actually behind me at this point. From the line on the map, it appears to want a u-turn at the next intersection on W Austin St.

What would cause it to not prompt for the u-turn? If I didn't know the area, that would be confusing since it shows 42 miles to the next turn, but the line on the map doesn't go anywhere.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328234145.590631.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328234145.590631.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

No prompt for U-turn?

Postby AggieJM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 am

OK, that makes sense. I've never actually seen a u-turn instruction before on Waze. Just assumed it was there. Or figured it would route me around a block if it didn't route a u-turn at an intersection.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Re: No prompt for U-turn?

Postby AggieJM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks Alan!

I think it fought me for a little while trying to route me back to Austin before it finally calculated my desired route north on US Hwy 77. The route I take is 243 miles door-to-door and 4 hours of travel time. The route Waze calculates uses the interstate for a longer period, where my route uses US Highways. I'll have to follow the highway part of my route and look for any turn restrictions, but I think it may just be bad speed data since the time to travel the highway section is usually off quite a bit.

I have noticed when I make the reverse of this trip (from Dallas), Waze will calculate the route to take me all the way to Austin when I leave. Then just as I get close to Waco on I-35, it will switch routes and put me on highways in Waco that lead my to my usual path down US Hwy 77. I wasn't sure if this was just a function of how the routes are re-calculated continuously while driving or what it was.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

No prompt for U-turn?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 am

It would appear that Waze couldn't find a suitable route forward, therefore the route going back, as Chris wrote. What would be useful to note, and perhaps you did, is after which intersection did Waze finally give you a forward route? It is at that junction that I would focus my editing attention.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 am

I coordinated the production of Dutch voice prompts, so I can tell for sure there is no voice prompt for U-turn. Not sure if there is an icon for it.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby LittlestLou » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:54 pm

gerben wrote:I coordinated the production of Dutch voice prompts, so I can tell for sure there is no voice prompt for U-turn. Not sure if there is an icon for it.

I actually label u-turns in my area so you do get prompted for a "You-Turn" although it sounds funny. Still the prompt makes sense and seem to do the job. I also make sure that the road type is set properly rather than making them all ramps as IGN seems to do (ie, service road u-turn is a service road and not a ramp).
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby RallyChris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:04 am

I'm not sure there is a u-turn instruction in the navigation code. Unfortunately this is current behavior. Of course happens less as the maps mature, because it will less likely want you to go backwards to go forwards... but annoying nether the less.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:21 pm

You might also be a victim of long route calculation. Which limits the available roads when determining the route. The routing method is a waze trade secret, but basically they are using a branching method, and the longer the route is the more options there are. So to trade off calc time and more importantly processing time, they limit the available options when a route is over a certain length (forget what that is at the moment).

I experience this same issue driving from the major metro area to home. The quickest way is 40 miles up a US highway, but waze will suggest the Interstate first which is a longer route. If the maps are all okay, you might be able to get your preferred route out of the alternative routes list.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Return to Navigation & Routing