Another Odd Route

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Another Odd Route

Postby RallyChris » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

CBenson wrote:Its now happening consistently.
Livemap
RightURight3.jpg

I have a hard time believing that the route is actually faster.

It's not happening for me right now. Maybe bad speed data for one/more of the time slices? I would try to get Waze HQ involved. I know that might be hard, but I suspect something wrong with data that we can't effect without a wipe it all out and start over.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Its not happening for me now either. Does seem to be based on the time slice data. I'll see what happens if I ask support about this one.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm still getting URs at this intersection that complain about being given right/U instructions rather than a left and right/U/right instructions rather than going straight through.

Upon further thought about this, I believe that there may be a fundamental problem with the waze calculations. First I understand that there is a possibility that the right/U might be on average faster than the left (this is an intersection with its own left turn signal). However, I do not believe that the right/U/right is actually on average faster than going straight through the intersection. It is my understanding that waze does rely on different time data depending on which way you are turning. But, I'm not convinced that this works when entering/crossing a split highway, this is because both left turns and cross-traffic have their delay on the segment prior to the highway. Then both left turns and cross-traffic proceed to the cross-segment. Thus, I'm guessing that waze does not distinguish between left turn traffic and cross traffic when determining the average time that you wait at the light.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing