Routing Server Timeouts / Failed Routes for long routes

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Routing Server Timeouts / Failed Routes for long routes

Postby JoeRodriguez12 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 am

HI,
I am a Chicagoland R3 editor who frequently drives out to Michigan. Lately I have been getting routing server timeout when trying to route from the NW suburbs of Chicago to Big Rapids Michigan. When this first happened it was over this past summer and it occurred once out of my 5 or so trips. More recently however it has happened every time. I have not been able to get a straight route from Chicago NW suburbs to Big Rapids, MI. I was told originally it was because of the Lake being so close(which I understand) but I was still be able to get a route there 3/5 times, now i cant do it at all. SO to get around that I have had to route to South Bend until i get around the initial "curve" of the Lake. I also use the IOS version of the app as well if that helps.

So now my question after this long explanation is, is there a way to fix this problem or has something occurred to make this problem worse? Thank you for your help!

Joe
Local Champ: USA
Assistant Regional Coordinator: GLR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / Alpha Tester

[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Welcome Page
Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter
JoeRodriguez12
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby KWQueens » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:45 pm

I think the troubleshooting response is a bit "blame the victim" and is not helpful.

When you try to navigate with Waze for very long distances (between states or cross country, for instance), it's possible that you'll receive an error saying "Routing server timeout" or "no route found."
Setting a route over long distances puts a lot of weight on our servers. We recommend breaking up the route into several segments for an error-free journey."

So if you'd like the best route to the place you are going, you shouldn't put that in...you should put in a place that MIGHT be on the way to where you're going...but you don't know, because it might not be the best way. To me, this is an unsatisfactory answer.

We left from Manhattan yesterday to travel to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. We consistently got the "failed routes" error (and ended up using Google Maps, because Google maps seems to know where Delaware is). Then when I put in the next town over (Dewey Beach) Waze found it. Why not the town that is CLOSER?

I sure hope you fix this soon as people do travel distances greater than 100 miles all the time, particularly when spring and summer vacations are coming up.
KWQueens

Postby Machete808 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 pm

irasaba wrote:In Maui, HI, Waze took us last night via the Kahekili Highway, in the dark, from the Kahului airport to Kanaapali. It's a very dangerous "at your own risk" road, even during daylight. We lost service for most of the way. It was the most horrific drive I have ever had!

Hi, irasaba! I'll send you a personal message and copy it to another editor who lives part time on Maui (I am one of the state managers, but living on Oahu. My backpocket guess is that all the flooding damage and resulting closures and traffic backup made this route the shorter in Waze's time calculation. It's an unusual route to Kaanapali, to be sure, and unfortunate that this happened.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Mvan231 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Is there still on-going work for longer routes? I get this whenever I drive long distances (Over 300 Mi)
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

[ img ] [ img ]
Mvan231

Postby PascalDirks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm trying to setup a route for my holiday. It is about 1350km and everytime I try to calculate this route, I get a server time-out.

I love using Waze, but for this longer routes it doesn't work very well.
PascalDirks

Routing Server Timeouts / Failed Routes for long routes

Postby PesachZ » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi team, we need your help, especially European testers.

Re: 'Routing server timeout', and 'Cannot find a route' errors on long (>100mi/150km) routes

Over the past several months there has been an increase of users getting Routing server timeouts, and not able to generate long (>100 mi/150 km) routes. This has been especially troublesome during the day. We have already seen hundreds of complaints from Wazers using the production client in the forums, local Google Hangouts, and URs sent when their routes fail. Many of these routes which are now failing, used to work flawlessly before, making it more disconcerting to users. Every few days I hear from another editor about "can't get a route from X to Y"
Some routes as short as 150 mi fail, other routes as long as 6-800 mi work. Some routes work only in middle of the night, or when there is no construction/closures along the way.

Another variable making the issue worse is when the client is set to 'Avoid tolls'. This requires the server to calculate the route and them look for alternatives which do not include tolls. This requires additional route calculations, which increases the chances of the server timing out before a route can be completed.

This issue started being a nuisance almost a year ago. It has gotten markedly worse around November time, and then again during the recent holiday season.

So far we have only heard about this problem from users in the North American server environment (USA and Canada). We need to hear from the Europeans if this is also affecting users in their areas please.

Reporting the failures
CBenson (a US Champ) started gathering a list of routes which failed after a certain distance, and put them in a Google Sheet. If you know of, experienced, or saw reports about a long route which is failing, please add it to the list by filling out this Google Form. This form is only for tracking this specific issue (long routes >100mi/150km) failing, please don't use it for other routing issues or failures (such as network connectivity issues, etc).

You can thoroughly test a route, by attempting it in the beta and production client (though this is likely not different), and using both with tolls (regular), and 'Avoid tolls' routing options (this is important).

When filling out the form please choose no for the RBS question (it relates to an internal waze team that handles certain routing issues).

Resolutions
  • The routing team is now aware of this issue, and will begin investigating the routes reported in the form, and looking for the cause and a fix.
  • So far all the reports are from North America, if this issue is affecting other parts of the world, it is imperative you fill out the form so the devs can see and address the issue for you as well.

PS This form is for all editors, please do not use it as a reply to URs.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:54 am

An update from the devs working on this issue:
The Devs wrote:Re routing failures:
Hey guys,

I'm here with news for you!

Our devs managed to partly fix this issue. it's not the end of their efforts, but at least from livemmap, some of the routes that failed - succeed. 

We still need your kind help:

1- To continue bearing with us.
2- Confirm that you see an improvement.
3- Report about routes that still fail.
4- Report how we're doing from the app.

Thanks,
-The Devs

Please continue to use the form above to report failures. If a route you previously reported as a failure starts working now, please report it here.
Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:17 pm

It means we have not tested the client because we are obviously not in those location but they do now work in live map so we hope that they will also work in the client. If they don't we must investigate further

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:49 pm

SanzClew wrote:Hi, not sure if I'm in the right thread but getting failure to route in NA -

HERE

Thanks.
a76t wrote:still an issue, :( taking a trip this upcoming weekend and can't map it out , 900 miles MA to SC, so sad this app is getting worst with the google ad shit
SanzClew wrote:Here's another UR about MA to Carolina failure to route.

Please fill out the form in the beginning of this thread.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 pm

And to update staff is still looking at the reports as of today.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing