Routing Server Timeouts / Failed Routes for long routes

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Routing Server Timeouts / Failed Routes for long routes

Postby irasaba » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:46 pm

In Maui, HI, Waze took us last night via the Kahekili Highway, in the dark, from the Kahului airport to Kanaapali. It's a very dangerous "at your own risk" road, even during daylight. We lost service for most of the way. It was the most horrific drive I have ever had!
irasaba

Postby Machete808 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 pm

irasaba wrote:In Maui, HI, Waze took us last night via the Kahekili Highway, in the dark, from the Kahului airport to Kanaapali. It's a very dangerous "at your own risk" road, even during daylight. We lost service for most of the way. It was the most horrific drive I have ever had!

Hi, irasaba! I'll send you a personal message and copy it to another editor who lives part time on Maui (I am one of the state managers, but living on Oahu. My backpocket guess is that all the flooding damage and resulting closures and traffic backup made this route the shorter in Waze's time calculation. It's an unusual route to Kaanapali, to be sure, and unfortunate that this happened.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby JoeRodriguez12 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 am

HI,
I am a Chicagoland R3 editor who frequently drives out to Michigan. Lately I have been getting routing server timeout when trying to route from the NW suburbs of Chicago to Big Rapids Michigan. When this first happened it was over this past summer and it occurred once out of my 5 or so trips. More recently however it has happened every time. I have not been able to get a straight route from Chicago NW suburbs to Big Rapids, MI. I was told originally it was because of the Lake being so close(which I understand) but I was still be able to get a route there 3/5 times, now i cant do it at all. SO to get around that I have had to route to South Bend until i get around the initial "curve" of the Lake. I also use the IOS version of the app as well if that helps.

So now my question after this long explanation is, is there a way to fix this problem or has something occurred to make this problem worse? Thank you for your help!

Joe
CM: USA
Area Manager: MI, MN & OR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / CarPlay Tester / RBS

[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ]
Welcome Page
Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter
JoeRodriguez12
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Trexer0 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:33 am

JoeRodriguez12 wrote:HI,
I am a Chicagoland R3 editor who frequently drives out to Michigan. Lately I have been getting routing server timeout when trying to route from the NW suburbs of Chicago to Big Rapids Michigan. When this first happened it was over this past summer and it occurred once out of my 5 or so trips. More recently however it has happened every time. I have not been able to get a straight route from Chicago NW suburbs to Big Rapids, MI. I was told originally it was because of the Lake being so close(which I understand) but I was still be able to get a route there 3/5 times, now i cant do it at all. SO to get around that I have had to route to South Bend until i get around the initial "curve" of the Lake. I also use the IOS version of the app as well if that helps.

So now my question after this long explanation is, is there a way to fix this problem or has something occurred to make this problem worse? Thank you for your help!

Joe

I believe we've come across a similar issue in British Columbia( https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1587411 ). Start and End points are relatively close together as a crow flies, however, there is a lake between them. It seems that routing fails when the routing distance reaches a certain distance when the start and end points are a certain distance (as a crow flies) from one another. As you mentioned setting the destination as something different until you get around the end of the lake stops this routing issue. I believe this also shows that there isn't an issue with the segments that is causing failed routing.
Trexer0
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ituajr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:35 am

Trexer0 wrote: [...] It seems that routing fails when the routing distance reaches a certain distance when the start and end points are a certain distance (as a crow flies) from one another. As you mentioned setting the destination as something different until you get around the end of the lake stops this routing issue. I believe this also shows that there isn't an issue with the segments that is causing failed routing.

See my posting https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=219511#p1591476 where I investigated a similar problem fairly thoroughly, and established that the critical distance is about 16.6 km. I even found a situation where Waze couldn't find a route from A to B, but could find a route from A0 that goes past A on its way to B, demonstrating that there is a working route from A to B.

I don't like the idea of telling the Waze user in this situation to drive a few kilometres in the wrong direction and then letting Waze find a route that will take him back through his starting point and on to his destination. How can we bring these problems to the attention of the Waze routing experts?
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
74000 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8200 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:54 am

Hey guys the routing experts are aware of this issue, and it is a limitation of the routing algorithm which is being investigated and worked on by the routing developers. New and varied examples are useful for testing any fixes and upgrades to the system.

I would kindly ask all three of you (JoeRodriguez12, Trexer0, & ituajr) to please fill out the form which was included in the first post of this thread to document these examples, and the devs will have access to it. Thanks you.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Trexer0 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:09 am

I noticed the form earlier but it seemed to only be for routing issues >150 km, which isn't the case here. I can ensure the form gets filled out none-the-less.
Trexer0
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PesachZ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 am

Trexer0 wrote:I noticed the form earlier but it seemed to only be for routing issues >150 km, which isn't the case here. I can ensure the form gets filled out none-the-less.

The initial use was for that, but if we borrow it and you fill it now I'll take your submission to the devs
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby BryceCampbell » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:30 am

PesachZ wrote:I would kindly ask all three of you (JoeRodriguez12, Trexer0, & ituajr)...

I'll send one as well since originally was my UR.
Home Base: Kamloops, BC
Area Manager: British Columbia and Saskatchewan (Canada)
RTC Manager: Western Canada
Beta Tester - WME and Android (Google Pixel 2, Android 9)

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
BryceCampbell
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ituajr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:01 am

PesachZ wrote: [...] I would kindly ask all three of you (JoeRodriguez12, Trexer0, & ituajr) to please fill out the form which was included in the first post of this thread to document these examples, and the devs will have access to it. Thanks you.

Done. I included a reference to my posting at https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=219511 which includes multiple examples. I assume the developers are willing to look at forum posts?
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
74000 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8200 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing