Route updates while driving

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Postby AggieJM » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I was using Waze last night on my drive back to Dallas.

When I started Waze, I was on US Hwy 77 just south of FM1624 as shown here on the map:

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... FFFFFFTTTT

The fastest route back to Dallas is to take US Hwy 77 north to Waco, then pick up I-35 north into Dallas. The route that Waze generated had me go north on US Hwy 77, then turn onto State HIghway 21. I ignored the turn onto State Hwy 21 and continued north, so Waze recalculated my route. The new route that it came up with had me continue north on US Hwy 77 for just under 10 miles to Private Road 7018, where it basically had me turn around and backtrack to State HIghway 21. I'm not sure why it selected this private road to turn around on since I passed through the town of Lexington where I could have turned around, plus any number of other state and county roads off of 77 that would have allowed me to turn back. Since my intention was to continue north, I ignored this turn as well so Waze recalculated the route again. The new route had me continue north for approximately 17 miles to US Hwy 79 at Rockdale. At this intersection, the route wanted me to take the exit to Hwy 79, then turn back onto the other ramp to go south on 77 all the way back to State Highway 21. At this point, the route being given was a little over an hour longer than the normal time needed to reach my destination.

I stopped navigation from the menu, then selected my destination again to generate a new route. When the new route was generated, it matched up with my desired route that takes the correct amount of time. So the question is, when you miss a turn and Waze recalculates the route, does it work out a new route to the destination from your current location? Or does it just try to get you back the route it originally generated? I originally assumed there was a map issue that was preventing my desired route from being found which it was it wanted to use Highway 21, but when it suggested backtracking almost 30 miles and passing numerous other roads, I wasn't so sure. And since it found the correct road when I restarted navigation, it doesn't appear to be a map data issue.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Re: Route updates while driving

Postby AggieJM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Does anyone have any idea on this one?

When you pass a turn, does Waze recalculate a new route to your destination from your current location? Or does it just try to get you back to the route it previously selected?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks Alan. My main concern was that it was taking what should have been a 3.5 hour trip of 215 miles (from that point) and routing it down a path that was around 300 miles and almost 5 hours long.

I was testing this route using the Live Map and think I may have found what the issue is.

If you look at US Hwy 77 between Co Rd 412 and Co Rd 417 in this section of the map:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... FTTFTTTTFT

It appears there are two stacked roads. The actual road that is connected through named "US Hwy 77" and a Minor Highway called N Hwy 77. If you zoom out to the 500m level, the Minor Highway shows up. Whenever I try to delete the Minor Highway, I get the "While you were editing, the elements you're trying to save have been modified and/or deleted. Please refresh and try again." error message. Can someone remove this duplicated segment?

Also, while comparing the Live Map and the WME map, I noticed some discrepancies. First, the WME map shows that the highway is named "US Hwy 77". The Live Map shows the name to be "N Hwy 77", but if you click on a segment the bubble shows "US Hwy 77".

Second, if you look at this location of the map you can see Co Rd 410 that intersects with US Hwy 77.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... FTTFTTTTFT

If you zoom out that same location one level, you see a Minor Highway segment following the path of Co Rd 410 that wasn't visible earlier.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... FTTFTTTTFT

This segment is invalid, but can't be deleted due to the same error message.

As I've been searching, I'm finding a number of segments like this along US Hwy 77 where there are duplicated Minor Highway segments named "N Hwy 77" that can't be removed.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:20 am

Does the ghost road issue actually cause the segment to be unroutable? After looking at this a little longer, and finding ghost segments in other areas of 77 that didn't have routing issues, I was wondering if this was actually the problem that screwed up my routing results. Can someone check out this area of the map and see if they see any issues that would prevent routing from south to north on 77?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat=30.52322&lon=-96.98792&layers=BFTFTTTFTTTTFTTFTTTTFT

When I tested on LiveMap, if my origin was north of 77/Co Rd 412, it would route me north to get to Dallas. If my origin was south of 77/Co Rd 417, it would route me south on 77 which is incorrect.

Just wanted to make sure the ghost issue wasn't hiding another issue.

---
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (blame my phone for any typos)
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:26 pm

If I route from here:

I get this routing:

If I move just slightly up the road to this point:

I get this routing:

It's barely a mile difference between the starting points on the same highway, but my routes are over an hour different.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:00 pm

The problem is that there is only one junction between those two origins where something could be wrong, and it's not. I can even shift my origin to just a few feet south of Co Rd 417 and it will still route to the north. So I'm getting two totally different results when I route from two different positions on the exact same road segment. I'm not sure what else to check on that segment that would cause this difference.

AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Just wanted to bump this one back up to the top.

I'm still seeing the exact same issue using routing on the Live Map and route generation from that area north to Dallas through the app is still incorrect on many points of US Hwy 77. On my last trip, I was almost to Rockdale on 77 before the route finally settled into the correct one.

The routes that the app is trying to use are up to an hour and a half longer in most cases and there was no traffic that would cause it to try and reroute. In some cases, it would search a new route after I ignored a directed turn. In other cases, it would automatically reroute when it determined a "better" route.

I'm not seeing the "ghost road" issue on the edit map like I was originally, but I am still seeing some incorrect items on the Live Map at various zoom levels.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm

I followed 77 south from Rockdale all the way down to Giddings. I found one segment on 77 where there was a restricted turn for the straight through segment on 77. I made that update, so I'll have to see if that fixes the routing the next time I go through there.

I also noticed something else while going down that section of road. If I look at the recent drives list, I can see my full path along 77. But if I turn on the 'editable areas' overlay on the map, my editing area stops just south of Rockdale. I was still able to edit 77 itself, but I could fix any of the side roads or their turn restrictions on/off of 77.

Is there a problem with how the editable areas are calculated? My most recent trip through there was at the beginning of November, so I figured I should be able to edit the 4 miles section around my path.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:12 pm

It should do a route from your current location. If it can't find a "new" route due to map problems or other restrictions we may or may not be able to see on the map, it may look like it is trying to get you back onto the same route, though.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:40 pm

AggieJM wrote:It appears there are two stacked roads. The actual road that is connected through named "US Hwy 77" and a Minor Highway called N Hwy 77. If you zoom out to the 500m level, the Minor Highway shows up. Whenever I try to delete the Minor Highway, I get the "While you were editing, the elements you're trying to save have been modified and/or deleted. Please refresh and try again." error message. Can someone remove this duplicated segment?

You must submit this as a ticket from the Support page. This is what we have recently dubbed the "ghost road problem" where the editor and even livemap is now showing roads which were edited, renamed, deleted, merged with other segments in previous map update cycle edits. But now they are appearing back in the editor again and causing all sorts of problems. Basically, the map is getting corrupted ALL OVER. I have found dozens of segments myself just in panning and scanning around my area. This is quite a big issue.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing