Route updates while driving

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Route updates while driving

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 pm

gettingthere wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Basically, the map is getting corrupted ALL OVER. I have found dozens of segments myself just in panning and scanning around my area. This is quite a big issue.

Not good at all. I wonder what the excuse is this time. Maybe the fault of the 'newly improved' tile generation process that is 'quicker'?

No clue, of course. But I can imagine how even that process could be responsible for resurrecting a segment which hasn't existed for over a year.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:04 pm

AggieJM wrote:I'm not seeing the "ghost road" issue on the edit map like I was originally, but I am still seeing some incorrect items on the Live Map at various zoom levels.

Don't trust the look of the livemap. It is updated in terms of structure (click on a blank spot where a road should be, for example, and it will be there.) Go to Rockdale on the edit map and follow 77 looking for disconnected segments, incorrectly restricted turns, and just general correctness.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Route updates while driving

Postby bigbear3764 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Have you looked at all segments and connections? A wrong one way, red arrow, incorrect cities, states, countries in the middle will re-route. Also try zooming in on live map to see if there is something obvious. I have seen problem on live map, gone to edit it, and it looked normal. I had to wait for map update to go thru, someone already fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AM Chicagoland Area
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby CBenson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

AggieJM wrote:Does anyone have any idea on this one?

I don't.

AggieJM wrote:When you pass a turn, does Waze recalculate a new route to your destination from your current location? Or does it just try to get you back to the route it previously selected?

When I have waze and another GPS running and skip the recommended turn, waze responds pretty much like the other GPS. For a little while waze thinks the initial route is better, but then switches to a route that takes into account the deviation from the initial route. So it can eventually recalculate a new route to your destination.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:27 am

I route with no problem over several roads with ghost segment problems. I have not yet been able to pin any routing problems on the ghost segments.

I don't see any problems that would prevent routing north on 77. There are a bunch of turn restrictions off of 77 that appear to an outsider to be incorrect. This might account for why the eventual U-turn was so far north with your original routing problem. The live map will give you a route north to I-35 from just north of Lexington, so northbound 77 is at least routeable from there.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 pm

AggieJM wrote:The problem is that there is only one junction between those two origins where something could be wrong, and it's not. I can even shift my origin to just a few feet south of Co Rd 417 and it will still route to the north. So I'm getting two totally different results when I route from two different positions on the exact same road segment. I'm not sure what else to check on that segment that would cause this difference.

Exactly, it makes no sense to me. The only thing I can think of is that possibly when waze went from the 200 mile limit to the 1000 mile, they added a restriction for minor highways like they have for streets and primary streets. And this little distance decreasse the total length of minor highway at the beginning of the route to the acceptable limit. The problem with this theory is that my understanding is that waze has stated that there is no difference between highway designations for routing. Thus, I don't know what could cause this.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 pm

AggieJM wrote:Is there a problem with how the editable areas are calculated?

Yes, there is.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby crazycomputingdotnet » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 pm

When I drive to work and I use navigation, there is a portion where I go off the recomended route (US 77 in Lexington OK) to go to the post office, Waze will always try to make you back track to the point you deviated until you reach at least a minor highway. The post office is one segment away from a minor highway (State Hwy 39) but yet it will make me backtrack through town to the point of deviation. Once I am on the major highway Waze will recalculate and navigate me back onto US 77 where it meets up with SH-39.

I have taken this as normal behaviour for Waze based on other forum posts where Waze can't calculate every senario out there so it is using the data it already knows to get you back to the precalculated route.
crazycomputingdotnet
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Basically, the map is getting corrupted ALL OVER. I have found dozens of segments myself just in panning and scanning around my area. This is quite a big issue.

Not good at all. I wonder what the excuse is this time. Maybe the fault of the 'newly improved' tile generation process that is 'quicker'?
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing