Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, the posts here give the two reasons why alleys would be used for routing:

1. When used to route through and not as the final destination, it is because the alley is set up as something other than private or parking lot rd.

2. If used for the final destination, then the address or POI coordinates returned by the search provider is closer to the alley than the street. Depending on the neighborhood and where visitors should be directed to get to your location, the private rd/alley may be appropriate or not.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:55 am

In those places where alleys simply make no sense, you could delete them I suppose.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:33 am

Crowdsourced and collaborative projects like the Waze map definitely can have that feel sometimes depending on whether everyone is on the same page.

Waze just announced they are going to rebuild their internal addressing to be point-specific, so we could, in 6-8 months, have an internal lat/lon-based addressing system which will allow us to specify with much more detail and precision, the exact location to direct drivers to within Waze and without having to reference external sources.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ArlenBystander » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:17 pm

failsafe wrote:In Chicago, the default is generally not. We've had someone recently jump from editing level 1 to 4 rather quickly seemingly doing nothing but activating alley turns. Alleys here are usually applicable for homeowners with garages, who already know the last few blocks to the destination.

I'm guessing I'm the person being referred to here since I recently went to level 4 and have been fixing turn restrictions (reverse connect, u-turn, etc.) and other things around Chicagoland. My understanding from reading the forums and wiki regarding alleys are they should be set to type Parking Lot Road (to avoid routing other than for destinations), name them Alley, and to set turn restrictions according to whether or not one can make the turn. I could find nothing to the contrary for the Chicago area.

If there is a consensus - such as disabling all turns into or out of alleys - for the Chicago area, let me know and I'll fix the alleys I changed; at least until someone else comes along. I'm guessing we'll then be dealing with reports caused by turns contrary to the set restrictions but I guess that may be less annoying to people than being routed into an alley for their destination. FYI, I see no problem with deleting alleys in Chicago if we're not going to use them for routing. We'll probably get road too far apart reports but again may be less of an issue for those other than editors.

I would also suggest the Illinois wiki section be updated with whatever is agreed upon to aid future new editors.
CM: USA / AM: Chicago & suburbs / WME βeta Tester
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Illinois Mapping
ArlenBystander
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby ArlenBystander » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:36 pm

bigbear3764 wrote:
ArlenBystander wrote:
I would also suggest the Illinois wiki section be updated with whatever is agreed upon to aid future new editors.

This is my after Xmas break plan is to attack and set up the wiki for our area. I'm just not the computer savi guy. I have been looking how it is set up in other states. Wisconsin just updated theirs and Connecticut has a real nice one.

I can definitely help out. I'll start looking at the other states' pages to see how they have been set up.
CM: USA / AM: Chicago & suburbs / WME βeta Tester
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Illinois Mapping
ArlenBystander
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby bigbear3764 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Red arrow restriction at alleys and edit them to a service road is what is recommended.

I too have seen a lot of driving error posts for them, I have been editing the ones on the very north side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bigbear3764 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I read it somewhere on here posted and someone else recommended it.

Ok, now I found it. I have gone thru Wiki, mainly for exit ramp naming. Your right, I see now where it is stated under Parking lots. Back to the drawing board and fix all my screw ups.

CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bigbear3764 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 pm

In Chicago, the alleys are set proper as parking lot roads. The reason people get sent down them to get to an address is due to bing having the house marker set back on the property so the alley becomes closer.

You can go to bing and get your address marker moved or go out in front of your house and tap and hold your screen to set current location. Then save as home.

CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bigbear3764 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:15 pm

ArlenBystander wrote:

This is my after Xmas break plan is to attack and set up the wiki for our area. I'm just not the computer savi guy. I have been looking how it is set up in other states. Wisconsin just updated theirs and Connecticut has a real nice one.

CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bigbear3764 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

jasonh300 wrote:There is no practical purpose for putting an "Alley" label on an alley.

Via my iPhone 3GS.

Well, the one that helped last year when I started was that all these alleys were marked as streets. With a name attached, I could select all segments and change a large section to plots with one save. What would guidance do with an unnamed street when it wants you to turn on it? Won't it give the name of the next named segment? I think that's more confusing than giving a turn right on alley direction. At least I know where it's sending me.

As far as deleting them, the only problem I see is that they will be added again. Kinda like plot roads everywhere else. Never ending battle.

CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing