Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:17 am

If the alley is marked as a PLot, navigation will never route you onto it unless its the end of the route. Just like any other Parking lot type of road, it should have no name.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Postby Bigbear3764 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

jasonh300 wrote:There is no practical purpose for putting an "Alley" label on an alley.

Via my iPhone 3GS.

Well, the one that helped last year when I started was that all these alleys were marked as streets. With a name attached, I could select all segments and change a large section to plots with one save. What would guidance do with an unnamed street when it wants you to turn on it? Won't it give the name of the next named segment? I think that's more confusing than giving a turn right on alley direction. At least I know where it's sending me.

As far as deleting them, the only problem I see is that they will be added again. Kinda like plot roads everywhere else. Never ending battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:56 pm

There's no reason to restrict turns into an alley if the alley is properly marked as a PLot road. Red arrows are too inviting to people to try to fix something.

There's also nowhere in the editing standards that say that an Alley should have any name unless there is a street sign indicating a name. There is no practical purpose for putting an "Alley" label on an alley.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Postby Bigbear3764 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:15 pm

ArlenBystander wrote:
I would also suggest the Illinois wiki section be updated with whatever is agreed upon to aid future new editors.

This is my after Xmas break plan is to attack and set up the wiki for our area. I'm just not the computer savi guy. I have been looking how it is set up in other states. Wisconsin just updated theirs and Connecticut has a real nice one.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 pm

In Chicago, the alleys are set proper as parking lot roads. The reason people get sent down them to get to an address is due to bing having the house marker set back on the property so the alley becomes closer.

You can go to bing and get your address marker moved or go out in front of your house and tap and hold your screen to set current location. Then save as home.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I read it somewhere on here posted and someone else recommended it.

Ok, now I found it. I have gone thru Wiki, mainly for exit ramp naming. Your right, I see now where it is stated under Parking lots. Back to the drawing board and fix all my screw ups.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Red arrow restriction at alleys and edit them to a service road is what is recommended.

I too have seen a lot of driving error posts for them, I have been editing the ones on the very north side.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby mrkdog1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Last night I was using Waze for some navigation around Chicago and it told me that driving down an alley was the most efficient route. And maybe it was. But it was an alley with large garbage bins on each side, a narrow bumpy road, and a few homeless people in it minding their own business.

I'm not saying that an alley isn't a possible route but it is one that should generally be avoided. Is there a way streets can be labeled as alleys with an option of "Avoid alleys"?
mrkdog1

Re: Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Postby jdeyoung » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:14 pm

CBenson wrote:The routing is to the stop point of the house number, so the location of the pin within the property does not matter. The caveats include a) the house number is not used until it has been touched by an editor in WME and b) if the address does not match the Google address, a search may still result in using the Google pin location.

For point b, if the google address GPS is too far from the verified waze house number, the google result will be used. In a dense residential setting this isn't likely, but if there's doubt, check the address search in google maps to make sure it is reasonably close. If not, you can use the feedback option to suggest the more accurate location.
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Re: Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Postby CBenson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm

The routing is to the stop point of the house number, so the location of the pin within the property does not matter. The caveats include a) the house number is not used until it has been touched by an editor in WME and b) if the address does not match the Google address, a search may still result in using the Google pin location.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing